Firing out the front

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Firing out the front

Post by -steves- » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi peeps, I wonder if someone can help?

I have an Accucraft Leader which fired up correctly the first half a dozen times or so. AFter that its been nothing but a pain to light with it only lighting out the front of the boiler near the chimney. The only way to stop this is to cover one of the air vents inside the with my finger then it lights at the back of the boiler where it should do. I have tried taking the jet out and back feeding the gas down it as I saw on a Youtube video, but it does not appear to have helped?

Can anyone suggest what this might be and how to resolve it please? I am very new to this and I am sure this is common knowledge to most people, just not me yet :oops:

Many thanks

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Some of the Leaders have a problem with the superheaters springing up to the burner once they have been warm afew times.
One way to solve this is to take the superheater out and bend it away from the poker burner.

The other way (and I know a few who have done this sucessfully) is to get the loco up to temperature then shut the gas off and then get a long screw driver and put it down the flue and gently ease the super heater away from the burner.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Sir haydn:56976 wrote:Some of the Leaders have a problem with the superheaters springing up to the burner once they have been warm afew times.
One way to solve this is to take the superheater out and bend it away from the poker burner.

The other way (and I know a few who have done this sucessfully) is to get the loco up to temperature then shut the gas off and then get a long screw driver and put it down the flue and gently ease the super heater away from the burner.
That sounds rather complicated from here :oops: I will have a look tomorrow, I dont suppose there are some instructions for this with diagrams? Just a thought :D

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Well a big thank you to Mike O. for his help on this one.

I would never have beleived that doing something the same as you thought you had already done it could fix it for you :)

Anyway, did what it said in the instructions and what Mike said, and low and behold, this time it fixed it. I am thinking either I didnt get the blockage out of the jet properly the first time, or my use of PTFE tape was not as good as the second time around, but either way, its now back up and running as it should be, sounding much better and lighting where it should be.

One happy puppy, thanks Mike and to those that replied :D