Pete the Simplex

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Pete the Simplex

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:03 pm

No pics I'm afraid but I will upload a video soon. Pete is my scratch built Simplex loco that has superseded Meldrew. Here's the spec:
Scavenged can motor that runs on 2 AA batteries
Gear from Meldrew's front axle
Worm gear from Hornby 0-4-0 (now changed)
Painted card body
Wooden outside framed chassis
Re-gauged IP steel wheels (originally 45mm so the axles would fit into the wooden frames)
Direction switch
on/off switch

As you can see, Pete is better than Meldrew. It can go over level crossings & points, it's frames aren't as flimsy (also, as Pete has a wooden chassis, it makes it a Morgan :lol: ) & it is heavier than Meldrew. But there is one issue, reliability, as the upcoming video will show

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:31 pm

This is the moment no one's been waiting for. The video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bT75JMGIuI8?hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bT75JMGIuI8?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT75JMGIuI8

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:03 pm

I Like
Thanks
Jack

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Pete looks great I like the realistic body pity it petered out :lol: :D

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Ta very much

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Sound like gear trouble but the rest is good.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm

spooner:45660 wrote:Sound like gear trouble but the rest is good.
Ta. The glue that held the motor in place had perished that day making the gears slip. There's no problem with the meshing. As long as it moves at a good pace, that's all I care about

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:14 am

Thants very nice. Where did you get the info to build the body from. Have you got diagrams plans etc please.
Thanks
Barry

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:44 am

sstjc:45663 wrote:Thants very nice. Where did you get the info to build the body from. Have you got diagrams plans etc please.
Thanks
Barry
Thanks. I got some Simplex caravan drawings from Dave. He had also sent me cab drawings for the generic Simplex design. I then guessed how big the bonnet would be. The same was applied for the Radiator. If you want drawings, ask Dave, he's your man. You should see some of his locos, they look fantastic. Don't be scared of asking, it can't do any harm & I'm sure he wont bite

Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

Simplex

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:55 am

Hi

Simplex looks good any chance of some still pictures.I think i will have to order some plasticard to have ago at one. I still have the plans and would be more than happy to send them, but please send me a SAE . Keep up the good work always make sure i have time to read this forum

Dave 8)
Not Another One

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks Dave :thumbleft: :thumbright: . I will get some stills up when I get new batteries for my camera. Mind you, I do have to go out for some stuff for my latest project

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Here are some pictures of Pete

I am not too pleased with the body but it's nothing that a fresh lick of paint can't fix

This is the bit I love the most about Pete (the Simplex), the chassis. Because it's made of strip wood, it's very strong & very rigid. The holes that have the axles in are quite snug but allow very free movement. The holes were drilled out with a small possie screwdriver then made slightly bigger with a small file (yes I do know that the chassis is off centre but it isn't that noticable)
Note that the two steel balls are from a megnetix set & are used to give a little ballast on the front as Pete is rear wheel drive & needs them to stop it doing wheelies. There are also some more of these balls under the bonnet to put more weight over the two axles

These are the couplings. Just a bit of strip wood with a pin nailed in it

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Woo a well used prototypical simplex, I used to drive a real one (ruston hornsby) that was just as rough paintwork wise. May I suggest that coffee stirers make great window frames.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:45678 wrote:May I suggest that coffee stirers make great window frames.
You may, thanks for the suggestion. I will use it at a later date (when I can get hold of some :lol: )

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:59 pm

It look to me the card is not strong enuff to hold the motor under load.You could tire gluing some wood underneath.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm

spooner:45688 wrote:It look to me the card is not strong enuff to hold the motor under load.You could tire gluing some wood underneath.
Oh no. On each end of the chassis, I glued two pieces of strip wood that glued on the footplate. The card must of been bent when I glued it on because I built the body on top afterwards