Would love someone to build indoor 16mm 2-Rail layout for me

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Would love someone to build indoor 16mm 2-Rail layout for me

Post by norsk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 pm

:?: :idea: Hi Again...
I quite realise my request for help in the construction of a small indoor layout...was a very big ask!..I quite understand peoples reluctance to commit to such a project..when firstly they have there own lives..and hobbies to pursue..so i thought maybe members may know of folk who do not look at this forum..who may consider..the taking on of the project...
I live in Hope

all the very best Steve :D

:D Hello to all...
I have just made my first posting in the introduction section...and i briefly mentioned my dream to own a first class small 16mm 2 rail electric layout (indoors)

I have lots of ideas but no practical experience to speak of..so please forgive my approach...I really need support..a mentor..but above all someone who would like the challenge of building for me a small but high quality layout..as i am not able to do much at all ..i`m afraid...

one main thought would be of building on lightweight baseboards...IE.:Foam-Core The following is a piece i copied from a railway site and explains a wee bit more...:-

[quote]Finally we have foam boards which are becoming very popular with modellers as you can use it to construct your model railway baseboard and then also use it to build mountains and other scenery. The  MEPS and XEPS are both close-cell materials. The common use for MEPS is for everyday items such as coffee cups or packaging materials although you can large insulation sheet which is also known as beadboard. XEPS is, however, more popular for model railway baseboards as it has a higher strength and has excellent resistance to moisture absorption. The panels come in a variety of thicknesses so you can build up various sizes for your mountains and then cut off pieces to make the results more lifelike.

[/quote]

The reason i am keen on this is for several reasons but primarily because if it can be utilised..correctly then it will keep the weight very much down which makes shipping from UK to Norway feasable?
also extruded foam can be used for upland area and tunnels e.t.c.
of course all this can be looked at and investigated in detail...

I am hoping to buy the Slater`s Hunslet quarry loco as my centre piece but again will require it building and any embellishments added in full as i am unable to do much at all...I have already ordered a couple of perfect world wagons..they are really superb!

I had planned to use DCC in my 7mm O gauge project i purchased evrything..but it did not happen..long story...so i thought a compromise maybe using Brian Jones Electronics ? if it will all work together so i can have sound e.t.c. again we can look at this and many other aspects in time..and i lost an awful lot of money to boot!

So my friends..this  was a very long opening salvo! please forgive my impatience to get on with things..i have suffered so many false starts..this time may well be the last chance a iget to fulfill the lifelong dream to own and run my own little railway...time is very preciuos to me..as to many folk....i sot of know approximately what i want..but i am not very technically minded...in fact my mind is not my best assett?

so any help,guidance....and support,greatly appreciated...
I am well aware that many folk would possibly advice a smaller scale in my situation?... ..but i love 16mm ng..and i can see it working in a moderatley sized layout..utilising small loco`s & stock e.t.c.

All the very Best to you all
Best Wishes Steve :occasion5:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 pm

what gauge?, how big? tightest radius? Steam?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Nice to hear from you...

Post by norsk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:45 pm

:roll: Hello..
firstly many thanks for replying to my request for help...I have actually not stopped..in my efforts to make this plan work..
Mike Thorpe now of Diss in Norfolk..16mm/G1 modeller as being advicing me and as kindly~offered, if time allows to build me some nice rolling stock..

with regards to the proposed layout,well i can give you maximum dimentions of the available space and the layout can be designed to fit?
Length 10`6" x Width up to 3`..i am allowing for reach..which in my case will be importantThe actual width of room at 7`+ which can be utilised..

It will be 16mm- 2 Rail electric..allowing me to run the 16mm Slater`s quarry Hunslet..and the de-winton sometime in the future..i have already ordered some wagons from Perfect World with insulated wheels...

My vision is above all Detail...so it will be few chosen items of rolling stock Example: P&J Guards Van,Perfect World Atropos?based on detail & quality..

The scene will be slate..with tunnels and as much operating interest as can be designed in...hopefully utilising pre built structures :Model~Town & Lineside~Delights (if Alan is up to it after his accident) good wishes again Alan.

Engine shed and small buildings even some in releif would be good..I feel.

Electronics ..simple would be ideal..i have had DCC and sold it..likewise not to interested in RC...what i would like is Lever frame operation...Synchronised-sound if at all possible..shuttle-->===<--|Inertia..and similar....normal controller...but as with everything else here i will take advice...

Lots of visual interest:Clutter,overgrown track...e.t.c....

I understand most of the rolling stock i envisage using will negotiate small radius curves..i will not be using anything that requires over 3` unless it can be incoorporated in such a way to give reasonable access?

For me the key is the baseboards which i really would like to be foam core..i see no need for wood...and it would keep shipping down somwhat..having read and spoken to folk in the USA in the past..this material seems eminently suited to indoor layouts....with little draw backs even though it maybe a pricey to purchase ..

Hope this gives you a feel for what i am looking for..realism/detail is my goal...For the very first time i can see it more clearly than ever before...so i hope with help i can make the dream a reality

all the very Best Steve :occasion5:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Any more info on 'foam core' and also I am guessing 32mm gauge? I have some really great really compact 45mm gauge corners that I am dyeing to be used. They are not all gurt and big are quite fin scale compared to LGB. I am makeing a really compact indoor station area myself with low releif buildings and will pass on my experiences.
I can suggest Modratek for lever frames- you design your railway you want to controle using free softwhere then have a custom kit of parts shipped out to you. Avg cost £40 for a 6 lever fame with 3 interlocking slots and 2 month postage!
Hope this helps
I may not be able to help you with a hole layout as I am short of time and money and space but would love to help in any way. I do alot of LASER cut design work if this helps.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: Nice to hear from you...

Post by mhlr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 pm

norsk wrote:Mike Thorpe now of Diss in Norfolk..16mm/G1 modeller as being advicing me and as kindly~offered
Ah, he's a good man, I bought my RH Bertie off him :D

Good luck with your plan, sounds very interesting!

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by norsk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 am

Good Morning DVLR & MHLR..
Firstly may i thank you both for your kind replies...
I will try and find out more about Foamcore..i seem to recall..articles somewhere in the UK which would probably be more helpful than US.as we would need to source in UK..i do know it is known by different names?

Yes sorry 32mm gauge.I was looking at the interesting Modratek lever frames.Better for me if it is fitted by the layout builder.

Very good of you to offer to help..i am so grateful..really am..not sure how all this will fit together,,,? we will have to see...
any help is most welcome...

I envisage something like a large Diorama display as much as a layout where your eye is drawn to the small touches as well as the overhaul scene...

Mike Thorpe and I have being corresponding for a few years now..we have not actualy met..but he as being very kind and helpful in many ways..and continues to do so...

look forward to more imput...and ideas

all the very best Steve :D

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:09 pm

I could build a Slater's Quarry Hunslet for you. Take a look at my web site: www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Quarry Hunslet....

Post by norsk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm

:D Hello Tony...
Very nice of you to get in touch..I have taken the opportunity of viewing your web page and indeed the models you have made/modified look very good to me!

Of course it would all depend on cost at the end of the day..i know quality workmanship costs...but i have to take in to account several additional cost factors also, which i sure you will understand...maybe we could explore the options

please let me know...and if you are able an idea of cost

looking forward to hearing from you

all the very best
Steve

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Steve, you have a Private Message!

norsk
Cleaner
Cleaner

Thank you for PM

Post by norsk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:37 pm

:D many thanks for PM am thinking about it will let you know shortly all the very best Steve