Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Peckforton Light Railway - Video Library

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 am

sjrixon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:42 am Enjoyable as ever. I love how active and busy your line is, something that on your own I think would be really hard to recreate with live steam. During a filming session you must have great fun setting the camera and then flipping between the controllers to get the correct loco. I've enough trouble flipping between the connections with Loco remote in the one device!
Yes, choosing the right location for the camera can be a challenge. You might notice that, after the original filming at Peckforton, I decided to go back and reshoot a couple of the moves as the original camera angle made it hard to see what was going on.

I do sometimes forget which Tx is controlling which loco and wonder why the loco in front of me isn't moving when one on the opposite side of the garden is gaily chuffing off in the opposite direction.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 11, 2024 9:07 am

gregh wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:08 pm Most enjoyable as usual. I do like the wagons of all different heights and widths.
One suggestion - maybe a short overhead view of the wagons from your overbridge would show the wagons wandering along too.
I have done that in the past. It was a toss-up whether the shot in the cutting near the start would be filmed from the bridge.

Rik
------------------------

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat May 11, 2024 9:49 am

Attention to detail and consideration given to so many aspects of this (the railway, rolling stock, operations, video) is, of course, so impressive. Love the sheep audio!

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:49 am Attention to detail and consideration given to so many aspects of this (the railway, rolling stock, operations, video) is, of course, so impressive. Love the sheep audio!
Sheep audio was something that stood out to me as well, as something I wouldn't have thought to add but that gives a lot of ambience to the scene. 👍

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm
BertieB wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:49 am Attention to detail and consideration given to so many aspects of this (the railway, rolling stock, operations, video) is, of course, so impressive. Love the sheep audio!
Sheep audio was something that stood out to me as well, as something I wouldn't have thought to add but that gives a lot of ambience to the scene. 👍
Thanks chaps. I felt that, as the sheep were very much in the foreground, their voices needed to be heard.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 11, 2024 9:10 pm

Excellent video again Rik, you make it all look so easy, although we know there is much preparation and planning beforehand. Well worth the effort, so thank you for sharing your railway with us.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 12, 2024 7:36 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:10 pm Excellent video again Rik, you make it all look so easy, although we know there is much preparation and planning beforehand. Well worth the effort, so thank you for sharing your railway with us.
Thanks Peter. I must admit, when the weather is bad, to watching some of my past videos as a substitute to running the trains for real.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 12, 2024 10:30 am

Incidentally, I suggested in the video that I doubted if any of the freight trains in my videos over the years would exactly match the train which was passing by the camera at that moment. Greg and I discussed this during our most recent Skype chat and agreed it was highly unlikely. As a result, I thought I'd do a quick calculation.

Assuming I have 40 goods wagons and a typical train is 8 wagons it looks like there are 76,904,685 different combinations (ie where the position of the wagon in the train doesn't matter) but if we do take account of where the wagons are in the train there are 3,100,796,899,200 different permutations.

Maybe I should have entered into a bet - almost as much chance of an identical train appearing as winning the lottery...... 😱

Rik

PS I cheated and used a website for the calculations - https://www.calculator.net/permutation- ... =Calculate
PPS - My randomised freight management program uses weightings for various types of wagon - so some are more likely to be included in trains than others. So the odds will be slightly less. Don't ask me to try doing the calculation or my head will explode :bom:
------------------------

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Sun May 12, 2024 2:27 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:30 am
Assuming I have 40 goods wagons and a typical train is 8 wagons it looks like there are 76,904,685 different combinations (ie where the position of the wagon in the train doesn't matter) but if we do take account of where the wagons are in the train there are 3,100,796,899,200 different permutations.
So we can still look forward to "a few" more videos with unique trains.... :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 12, 2024 4:38 pm

Scrat wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:27 pm
ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:30 am
So we can still look forward to "a few" more videos with unique trains.... :D
I see it now as a challenge.... :lol: !

Rik
------------------------

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Sun May 12, 2024 7:08 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:38 pm
I see it now as a challenge.... :lol: !

Rik
Peckforton Light Railway challenge:
In one of the future PLR videos, a train will be shown that has been seen in a previous episode.
Find the train and name the correct episode.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:58 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 pm
drewzero1 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm
Thanks chaps. I felt that, as the sheep were very much in the foreground, their voices needed to be heard.

Rik
:Baaaa

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 21, 2024 1:38 pm

Every piece of motive power currently in service is portrayed as we stroll Down the line in the latest video.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 22, 2024 7:35 am

Love this video Rik. Very well videoed and the commentary is brilliant. Your rolling stock are to be admired and run on any line that do 45mm. Brilliant.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 22, 2024 9:50 am

Very enjoyable — and I imagine it must have taken ages to assemble and shoot.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 22, 2024 12:38 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:50 am Very enjoyable — and I imagine it must have taken ages to assemble and shoot.
Quite a while, yes. But I was pleased to find that all but one loco worked first time straight off the shelf. Four have now ended up in the casualty bay as, although they worked, there were some issues which I want to remedy (eg one has a decided limp, a couple need their cheap sound cards replacing and one needs replacement NiMh cells (the only loco which still uses them)).

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed May 22, 2024 10:30 pm

Enjoyable with the morning cuppa well done keep them coming.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html