Semi-scale BR: Garratt loaded test run

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Semi-scale BR: Garratt loaded test run

Post by BertieB » Wed May 08, 2024 12:06 pm

Chill out with the recently built Garratt as it slowly trundles round, occasionally trying its best to come off when I’m not paying attention — I’ll need to fiddle with it again. Though having to go round very slowly is, of course, fine with me.

As well as embracing ‘No mow May’, I’ve made a half decent attempt at ‘Don’t overdo garden maintenance April’ too, as you can see.

Probably best viewed quite small (resolution and sharpness occasionally iffy)
Last edited by BertieB on Wed May 08, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Re: Semi-scale BR: Garratt loaded test run

Post by Andrew » Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm

That's looking great!

I particularly like the overhead shots where you can clearly see the loco flexing through the curve...

The tanker train's looking very good too...

Andrew

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 08, 2024 12:26 pm

Nota dodgy video at all, except for one thing. I know I'm in a minorit,y but to me music is so distracting and unnecessary. The loco and indeed its train, are mesmerising and I didn't notice any tweaking that is needed.
Well done.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 08, 2024 2:07 pm

Wonderful video, Bertie. Having seen your level of garden maintenance I now feel much more comfortable with my own.
After reading Philipy's comment concerning background sound, I much prefer your music, which is quiet and in keeping with the gentle pace of the train, than watching steam locomotive noises which are clearly out of time with an engine's motion.
I also muted the music to test the difference between the two options and prefer it on.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Ianm » Wed May 08, 2024 2:58 pm

Great video, the slow progression round the track shows off the engine very well. Not a Dodgy video at all. :salute:
Ian M
WIRL

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu May 09, 2024 9:24 am

Gosh. Thank you all.

Real locomotives (and even many live steam models) might produce sound you actually want to be able to hear, not obscured under other audio — but my efforts don’t. So, I’m afraid, I add both music and train noises. Used appropriately, music can set the pace and tone of the video. Not sure I achieve that too often but that’s the idea.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 09, 2024 10:27 am

Another great video. Who'd have thought it would generate a music/sound effects debate?

Are you still using your friend's music? I quite like it - folky and original. I do like loco sounds and hardly notice whether they are synched to the wheels. I do have one loco in my fleet which uses a wheel cam to synch the beats and, to be honest, I prefer my other locos' sounds. The synched sounds seem a bit too staccato whereas the non synched seem more mellow. I'm in the process of editing a video which, by coincidence, uses both types of loco sounds. It'll be interesting to see the reaction.

Regarding music. I used to put a background music track on my early videos but now only use it behind the titles and credits and also when showing still images.

My only comment on the loco sounds is, was it from a real Garrett? I was trying to detect a double beat though Zach tells me (based on his direct experience with Wells and Walsingham locos), the two units tend to become synched with each other.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Thanks Rik. Yes! I have recently been presented with several instrumental pieces specifically for use in future videos — but this one is from Kevin Macleod, yet again, who I remember you have used in the past as well.

I’m afraid the steam loco noises aren’t of a Garratt. They’re varied edits of my usual, endlessly recycled, heritage railway audio clips (smaller BR Standards, rattling goods wagons and so on). But as you suggest, there aren’t many shots in the video where I’d worry if the sound effects were precisely in sync or not.