Mamod Brunel

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Nigel B
Cleaner
Cleaner

Mamod Brunel

Post by Nigel B » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:25 pm

Hello Group
I’m quite tempted by a Mamod Brunel. Is there anyone with experience of fitting directional RC to one? The FeckHallBahn is ground level and not a loop; I need to be able to stop (and preferably reverse) trains remotely at the far end of the line.
Thanks in advance
Nigel.
FeckHallBahn

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Mamod Brunel

Post by Phil.P » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:24 am

Not sure if this will work?

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7945

Both Chris and Mike are still around on the Forum, and this was 2013. - So I would assume any changes have been made?

If the Brunel is still slop-eccentric, then you can't reverse it without the 'hand of god'. - Though I have heard anecdotal evidence that you can reverse a very worn slip-eccentric loco?

I have 'accidentally' acquired a steamer, but I have not dared to run it yet. - I need better weather, someone with experience, and a 'more-gauge' track.

Phil.P

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Mamod Brunel

Post by SimonWood » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:43 pm

It's single cylinder isn't it? So starting it (normally) requires the 'hand of god' in the form of spinning the flywheel. Certainly that's how it is with my single cylinder Regner Konrad, which I've fitted R/C to anyway - it's useful being able to control the speed and stop it remotely, and most importantly blow the whistle!
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos