It's a long time since I've posted anything on here. I keep up with what's going on but I just haven't had anything to contribute. Construction of the railway ground to a halt some time back, mainly because the workforce (i.e. me) keeps getting hijacked onto other non-railway projects. Hopefully this will change as soon as it warms up a bit. I am determined to make some major progress this year before the old knees and hips get too creaky.
Anyway I have managed a couple of railway projects which could be done in the warm so I thought I would write a few lines for those who may be interested.
First was the Roundhouse Garratt, which I wanted to treat to some lining. I had thought about having it professionally done but, having lined a loco before to my satisfaction, I thought I'd give it a go. I ordered it in Crimson Lake hoping that it would match my Accucraft NGG16 (I like Garratts !) but have to say I was rather disappointed when it arrived as it looked more brown to me - not my idea of Crimson and quite different from the big Garratt.
However I didn't want to go as far as respraying the whole thing. It looked like a lot of dismantling would be necessary to be able to do the boiler, so I got on with the lining. I use a Peter Spoerer lining pen which seems to produce excellent results with a bit of practice. My first attempt on the front tank I wasn't very happy with. I find for best results the lines need to be done in one continuous movement at a steady speed. I couldn't manage this - I think it was the thought of ruining a £3.5k loco causing my hand to shake !
I wiped it all off with white spirit and started again and eventually finished the job to my satisfaction. I also sprayed the rear of the front tank and the front of the rear bunker, and the insides of both, satin black. The factory finish is excellent but I do think a loco looks a bit toy like when everything, inside and out, is all the same colour.
Then disaster struck. I prefer a satin finish to a high gloss so I thought I'd give it a spray over with satin varnish. I didn't know that Humbrol acrylic varnish is not compatible with Humbrol enamel paint. As soon as the spray touched the rear bunker all the black bits turned into a crinkle finish, like an old MGB dashboard. I was a tad displeased ! Fortunately I managed to remove it all back to the base colour with plenty of white spirit and start all over again. The upside is that I think I made a better job of it second time around. And it's going to stay shiny !
So here is the finished article, maybe not quite up to a professional job but I'm happy with it

You may also notice a couple of modifications. I didn't really like the large lamps front and back. I'm not worried about it being prototypically correct, I just bought it because it's a nice little Garratt. So I made a new top for the front tank and a new shorter cab roof and stored the originals away in the box. I think it looks better.
And here it is with its big brother. I'm happy that I've matched the lining pretty well. Just a pity it's not crimson . . . .







