Roundhouse Katie Kit Build

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Very nice. I admire the tidy soldering on the running boards. The edge looks perfect.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I have some Locoworks running boards for a Lady Anne kit I've yet to build, and find they are rather thin & flimsy.

Your running boards look much more solid. What thickness brass sheet have you used here?

Chris Cairns
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Chris Cairns:121312 wrote:I have some Locoworks running boards for a Lady Anne kit I've yet to build, and find they are rather thin & flimsy.

Your running boards look much more solid. What thickness brass sheet have you used here?

Chris Cairns[/b]
Hi Chris

I measured the thickness of the plate under the smokebox which was 1.6mm and used brass strip of the same thickness so it looked right. To help both the rigidity and look I soldered some 1mm milled angle along the edge. I had to file the underside of this quite close to the upright of the angle across the cut out for the valve gear.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:40 am

James from Devon wrote:Hope that helps?
It does indeed James. Thank You.

Something else to add to my shopping list.

Chris Cairns

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:49 am

What a beautiful looking loco. The running boards do make a big difference. Well worth the extra effort.

Rik

PS Was that a daredevil frog at 2:18 in the video?
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:07 pm

ge_rik:121393 wrote:What a beautiful looking loco. The running boards do make a big difference. Well worth the extra effort.

Rik

PS Was that a daredevil frog at 2:18 in the video?
Hi Rik, Sorry for my tardiness in replying, real life has well and truly got in the way of railway matters for the last few weeks!

Thanks for your comments, I am really happy with how this loco turned out. I did have a little timing trouble a few weeks back but it was easily sorted.

I have no idea if it was a frog! it looks like it but i was walking around there for ages setting up the camera before the train came along...perfect timing huh?

Have a lovely Christmas!
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience