Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 am

Fast is not the word.
Lightening responses and great skill. I have to confirm that Mr Butler does wear his underpants on the outside and gets changed in a 'phone kiosk. You should see him legging it up the garden with his cape billowing and a sheaf of plastic sheet in his hand. I belive it is all to do with years of exposure to plastic cement.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 am

Peter Butler:119629 wrote:
This railway will never be completed as long as new ideas are thrown in my general direction.  Keep them coming and as long as I can I will try to accommodate them.
BUT...... No Blackpool Towers or wind turbines, OK?
Ermmm..animated flying seagulls?? I'm sure Rik could help with the flying control??? [Ducks, and runs for cover!]
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Big Jim:119652 wrote:Fast is not the word.
Lightening responses and great skill. I have to confirm that Mr Butler does wear his underpants on the outside and gets changed in a 'phone kiosk.

Thanks Jim, but my alias is blown now!!!!
At least I can spare the Forum the photographs.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 pm

bazzer42:119649 wrote: I look forward to seeing the crane, painted and weathered later today.
You are 'avin a laarf!

Today has been a busy day for me, my wife has been out with friends leaving me to look after myself and the dogs. I have managed to make some lunch, feed and walk the dogs (several times) and even transplant a small tree. But, the call of the modelling shed was still strong and I had to make the effort, so.......
Having identified a typical dockside crane I estimated some dimensions and drew up a mental plan of action. I never draw what I intend to make.
I have plenty of plasticard following a recent delivery of dozen large sheets so no delay there. First a cab, windows and door, all to represent wood cladding so scribing and graining for each panel.
A jib of steel girder style with pulley wheel and winding reel with gearing. Below the cab a slew ring and rollers on a base which will be mounted on a bogie on rails about 6ft gauge.

Corrugated plastic sheet to make a sloping roof and grab-rail and door handle for the operator. I managed to get a grey primer ready for a top coat when I fin the time...

So... by the end of the day I failed to complete the crane but I tried my best! It will make a good addition to the forthcoming harbour which might take a while longer.

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 pm

That crane is amazing, for a days work on it :) where did you get the bolt detail from? Really adds to the realism 8)
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:00 pm

Thanks Jon, glad you like it. The bolt heads, and rivet heads too, are available from Cambrian Models. They come on a sprue so you have to cut them off but you get an assortment of sizes and designs together..
They are tiny and can be very fiddly but if you read through my thread I describe my method which becomes very fast with practise.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Absolutely amazing. Isn't it good when you've been modelling for long enough, to have at the ready all the small bits and pieces, and material stock to go straight ahead and build something.
Grant.

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Love the crane; really does look the part. Just one question, what sort of time dilation apparatus are you using? The days in your location are obviously a hell of a lot longer than those that we mere mortals enjoy! :D
Merlin

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 pm

merlin2:119671 wrote: The days in your location are obviously a hell of a lot longer than those that we mere mortals enjoy!  :D
I think not.... I have never been an early riser, ((09.30 would be early!) so my days are no longer than average.
I do try to work out my builds in advance and can visualise snags, and solutions, before they appear.... who needs virtual reality?
It is certainly true that a good stock of materials is an advantage but that is due to the content of the paragraph above.
The most important thing is to enjoy what you're doing and constantly plan ahead for the next project. I can't finish quickly enough because there is always something else waiting in the wings.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 pm

After suffering the indignity of the weekly grocery shop I got down to something much more important and made the carriage for my dockside crane today.
It runs on 45mm scale steel wheels re-gauged to 5ft. so the next job will be to create a short length of track for it to stand on.

Painting has now begun but not enough progress to show just yet.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Outstanding

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Better and better; I love it!
Merlin

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I think it is finished!
The main wooden body colour started out green but as it is exposed to the sea air it has been scoured in places down to the bare wood.
The carriage is showing signs of neglect too with rust everywhere but some areas have been greased to keep the old girl in working order.

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Great work Peter, I'm loving the distressed look of the wood and paint, was that done with a dry brush method or some other subtle way 8)
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Your weathering really is a work of art Peter. I remember Cuneo writing an article on the subject for the 'Triang - the first ten years' book, it was inspirational to me. Your work is equally so. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Andrew, I remember that article too, and still have the book which I keep for reference. I know that in those days of experimentation, oil paints were the only option, however, my preferred choice is acrylic which is a great way of giving almost immediate results.
I have no training in this, just an eye for colour and a way of interpreting what should happen in the real world. 'Observation' is my key word, although I appreciate many others can achieve much finer results, particularly for exhibition or competition, however, my models only sit outside in the rain and do their job as part of the scenery.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 am

Superb, Peter.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:50 am

The buildings for Llareggub Station are now complete and in situ. I willl be going to Llanfair Exhibition this Saturday to seek out signs and seating to place appropriately.

As you can see, the surrounding ground (weeds) are next in line for treatment and I have already begun the digging process to remove them. So far I have shifted 10 barrow loads of heavy clay soil with lots more still to go. I have to do just a few at a time to spread out the physical demand, which my doctor would immediately deter me from doing if only he knew!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 am

A weekend visit from my sister-in-law, her husband and their three dogs, resulted in a photo shoot on the BURPS.
I'm sure she is trying to breed scale dogs to go with my railway and so far has managed to get them down to this size...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:58 pm

Fantastic shot Peter, they show all the signs of 'inspecting the works'. I can sense that the one in the centre is about to pass comment on something! :lol:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"