MSS Loco conversion 0 to 1 gauge.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Modelenthusiasts
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Modelenthusiasts » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:39 pm

Can anyone please tell me what are the steps involved in changing the width from 32mm to 45mm.

I know I have to add a conversion block behind the cylinder back plate to increase the width to 45mm.

Also I know I have drop the engine parallel frame to remove the 32mm wheel sets and replace with the 45mm sets.

I think I have to undo the steam dome, release the steam pipe and pull downwards until the wheel are free to come out from the frame.

Does anyone know the detailed steps?
Half the people are below average.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 pm

If get a copy of the kit version's instructions it will be clear what to do. It was a long time ago I made mine but I thought the frame just dropped out once you took out the end screws.
Cheers, Steve

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:05 am

Its actually very easy to do to a standard loco, it just sounds a lot. As long as you have the parts, its a diddle and you will soon find out if anything is missing.

I would say, just have a go and pick up the bits as you go. :)

Any problems, just shout them on here and someone will help :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Unscrew the steam dome and remove the spring, washer and O ring.

Undo the two screws under the smokebox, two under the front of the cab and the two holding the rear drag beam on.

Carefully separate the chassis from the body, moving it a little at a time making sure to push the steam pipe through the boiler as the chassis comes away. Place the body to one side

Pull the steam pipe and exhaust pipe from the reverse valve.

Remove the four screws from the reversing valve and the round chassis spacer. Pull the reversing valve free.

Undo the four remaining screws holding the cylinders on.

At this point the frames will now be free and rather floppy, pull the frames together so that the bearings come out their holes allowing the axle to drop out the slot in the frames.

To reassemble do the reverse using the 45mm parts.

If you have some spare, replace the O rings in the steam dome and reversing valve as they can get leak when everything goes back together if they are old. It also helps to have a second pair of hands when putting the chassis and body back together as getting both exhaust and steam pipes, and the frames back in the right place is a bit tricky.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail