16mm NGM East of Scotland Group Modular Layout

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
dhippey
Cleaner
Cleaner

Another view from the show

Post by dhippey » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Here we see an older version of the HGLW loco alongside the prototype for the new station fencing.
Fencing will be available as either vertical boards as shown, or what is sometimes described as 'Midland style' with 45degree slanting boards.

Regards,
David H.

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am

I will class myself as one of those "Nerds" that doesn't necessarily enjoy just watching a train go round and round in a circle.

We used to use a beeper arrangement on Rowlands Lodge which didn't receive any complaints. More complaints were made about the LGB stuff going round with repetitive sound systems.

Both the FR and the Talyllyn railway use block bells to permit trains in section. It is a treat on the FR as they are only used when using the short section staffs Between Minffordd - Rhiw Goch- Tan Y Bwlch switched in.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm

jest a question why couldn't a height of the modular layout not be agreed on.surly the hole pont of building a modular layout is to be able to join all the bits together and have a big layout its a bit sad that a wonderful opportunity was missed to be able to link up all the modules together and bring a lot of people together who all have the same interest. Why couldn't they decide on a height ??? could it not of been decided by a simple vote???????

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

A height WAS decided on - it's just that some people don't like it! I have the opposite problem with Flagg Fluorspar - small children have to be lifted up to see it, because i want to display it at adult eye level, to avoid the "looking at the coach roofs" syndrome................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Dundee Museum of Transport

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun May 10, 2015 11:06 am

The first outing for this portable layout for 2015 was to attend the Model Steam Weekend event at the Dundee Museum of Transport on 18th/19th April 2015.

Again I took advantage of advance rail tickets to travel by train & Plusbus to join members of the East of Scotland Group on the Saturday.

The Museum of Transport is located temporarily in industrial units with the long term plan of moving into the former Maryfield Tram Depot a step closer having received the keys to the Depot earlier that month.

So there was not a lot of space available with the portable layout having to be placed against the walls (just seen behind the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica above). A curved layout board had just been manufactured and the required track panels were laid on the day just prior to the event opening. A battery diesel was sent down the layout to locate any problems, and this highlighted a problem with the uneven floor which was greater than the adjustment available on the adjacent panels. So these had to be clamped together to allow a smooth transition between the panels. As the layout was up against the wall it had to be operated from the public side so the operation was more laid back than last year's event so no use was made of the bell code buzzer system, and we just ran trains as & when without any formal timetable.

Despite an increase in the sidings available since last year everyone had brought their own rolling stock to run, including myself with some IP Eng open wagons I'd recently obtained from a fellow WoSG member which I wanted to try out, so we had to regularly keep the station run round loop clear, with the additional problem of the lighting up area now being at the back (wall side) of the layout.

It was great to see a Merlin Little Wonder up close but this one was suffering from a major steam leak and thus was reluctant to always start off initially without a helping hand. I was able to give the owner some advice regarding locating & correcting that steam leak.

The layout is next attending the Perth Model Railway Show but not sure if I'll be attending as it clashes with a proposed Abellio Scotrail steam train, given that the WCRC suspension has now been lifted by Network Rail. Need to wait for the outcome of the ORR investigation next week first.

Chris Cairns