ip simplex caravan

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Roberts wood light railwa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

ip simplex caravan

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am

I'm just about to finish building a ip engineering caravan. Can anyone tell me what they would use to lubricate the axles and gears please? Cheers
If its not made to run on rails I'm not bothered

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:54 am

I use a little 3 in 1
Are you going to post pics?

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Cheers for that.

Yes if anyone is interested. It's almost done, I've got the roof to paint and a few other bits and it'll be done. Hopefully tomorrow night so if anyone wants pictures they'll be Sunday. I must say it is my first attempt at white metal and epoxy resin bit I'm very happy with it.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Roberts wood light railwa:109098 wrote:Cheers for that.

Yes if anyone is interested. It's almost done, I've got the roof to paint and a few other bits and it'll be done. Hopefully tomorrow night so if anyone wants pictures they'll be Sunday. I must say it is my first attempt at white metal and epoxy resin bit I'm very happy with it.
Yes please. I'm just working on an IP Engineering plate frame Simplex and so would be interested in how the two compare (and how you found the construction).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Very nice. Construction hasn't been to bad, once I got to grips with the glue I was well away and made quick progress. No real problems with casting just the usual flash. I wasn't supplied enough axles for the chassis though (missing the transfer shaft) luckily I had one in stock. There isn't much space for a battery box but that's expected.

How's it Been for you?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 am

Roberts wood light railwa:109104 wrote:Very nice. Construction hasn't been to bad, once I got to grips with the glue I was well away and made quick progress. No real problems with casting just the usual flash.  I wasn't supplied enough axles for the chassis though (missing the transfer shaft) luckily I had one in stock. There isn't much space for a battery box but that's expected.

How's it Been for you?
Only got as far as making the chassis so far. It's the first time I've used low-melt solder (only used epoxy before) so I'm feeling my way a bit. I've got three projects on the go at the moment so it's on the back-burner while I finish off one of the others. I'll post a few pictures when I take it up again.

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: ip simplex caravan

Post by GTB » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:03 am

Roberts wood light railwa:109090 wrote:Can anyone tell me what they would use to lubricate the axles and gears please?
I've used Labelle lubricants on models for many years, 108 medium oil for bearings and 106 grease with PTFE for gears. Both are safe with plastics (and paint).....

My reason for using grease on gears is that it stays where you put it and the gears run a bit quieter. I've been using 106 for many years on both plastic and brass gears. It doesn't turn black on brass gears, so little wear is going on, even after many years in some cases.

Because I usually run my locos on a ground level line, I fit a gear cover made out of thin brass, to keep dust and other crud out of the gears.

Regards,
Graeme

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:17 am

Only got as far as making the chassis so far. It's the first time I've used low-melt solder (only used epoxy before) so I'm feeling my way a bit. I've got three projects on the go at the moment so it's on the back-burner while I finish off one of the others. I'll post a few pictures when I take it up again.

Rik[/quote]

Brilliant I'll keep a eye out for them

Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Roberts wood light railwa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am

Cheers for that graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Roberts wood light railwa:109130 wrote:Cheers for that graeme
Ditto. I've been wondering what to use on plastic gears

Rik
------------------------

Simon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Simon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am

Would you mind posting pics of it when your finished?