Latest developments

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Latest developments

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Tropic Blunder wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:43 pm ...... at the end of the day 3d printing isnt really any less work then scratch building it just changes the nature of the work involved :twisted:
Yes, I have to agree. My wargaming mate popped round at the weekend and I showed him my 3D printing set-up. He asked if I was worried about losing my scratch bash bodgelling skills and, after a few seconds reflection, I told him I was more than delighted, if not excited, by the new skill set I was developing. I don't think I'm abandoning my old skills (such as they are), I'm augmenting them.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:50 am

Superb Rik, really lovely.
Those layer lines seem to have really disappeared, was that just hard work with wet 'n dry?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:51 am

philipy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:50 am Those layer lines seem to have really disappeared, was that just hard work with wet 'n dry?
A combination of filler and several coats of primer with wet n dry between.

Lesson learned! Avoid printing sides vertically but if it's unavoidable then do not add rivet detail. Close scrutiny will reveal that there are still some strata lines between and beside rivet rows where I struggled to get the abrasives in.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Here she is in action with Micron MR608 receiver installed

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Running nicely Rik. Doesn't it make a welcome change to have that much spare space inside for all the gubbins?!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:11 am

philipy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm Running nicely Rik. Doesn't it make a welcome change to have that much spare space inside for all the gubbins?!
Absolutely! It's cavernous by comparison to some of my other builds. It's also a lot easier to access the gubbins - the tank tops and boiler lift off as a single unit.

Just trying to decide whether to mount the coupling on the rear of the body or pivot it on the bogie/pony truck. I'll have to run it through my tightest reverse curves and watch closely what happens. I'll also have to raise the body by a few mm. An easy task, I'll just pack some plasticard spacers between the mounts on the motor block and the body.

BTW, I constructed this loco to 15mm/ft which is becoming my default scale since I started 3D printing the Southwold stock. I'm surprised how much difference a 15/16 reduction makes on the overall dimensions. I originally rescaled the GVT coaches to 16mm/ft and have now re-rescaled them to 15mm. Once I've finished constructing them, I'll take a few pictures of them side by side.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:17 pm

A fine looking end result there Rik. Will you be adding a sound card? It would round it off nicely. It's also surprising how effectively a skirted locomotive hides the need for running gear. A lovely looking locomotive. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:55 am

Hi Phil
Yes, a MLS soundcard is on the agenda. I need to rationalise my stock to allow room for the new 3D printed wagons. I can then fund the soundcard from the sales of the old wagons.

Rik
------------------------

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am

Great outcome Rik really looks the biz! very smooth running too, what exactly is powering this beastie? I dont think you showed us what was under the skirt so to speak
Jake

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:47 pm

Tropic Blunder wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 am Great outcome Rik really looks the biz! very smooth running too, what exactly is powering this beastie? I dont think you showed us what was under the skirt so to speak
Hi Jake
Thanks. It's in the video but I'll also post the piccie here. It's the motor block from a Bachmann streetcar.
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2726.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 4900 times
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG (982.25 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
I bought a couple secondhand from someone on this or the GSC forum who was replacing them with something of higher quality. The skirts hide a multitude of sins so I could have put more or less anything under it. I have actually put a trailing bogie under there although it's not really essential.
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG (818.8 KiB) Viewed 4900 times

Once I've tidied up the files, I'll post them in the 3D printing section. I'll also post a version of the body without rivet detail to make it easier to rub down before painting

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm

As mentioned in the loco lamp thread, I've now added lamps front and back with red/white bi-colour LEDs. I've also raised the loco by 3mm to give better clearance when running over my somewhat uneven track, buffers and couplings have been added plus a few other titivations ..... and, would you believe, I discovered I had a spare MLS soundcard and so that has been installed.

The loco is now ready for her first proper test run with stock. I've been clearing the track - just need some decent weather - we've been having a few days of rain - showers forecast for tomorrow.
1-IMG_2786.JPG
1-IMG_2786.JPG (97.38 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
1-IMG_2788.JPG
1-IMG_2788.JPG (110.26 KiB) Viewed 4767 times

Rik
------------------------

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:17 pm

It does look good.

It really is interesting to be able to create such detailed models on the computer and then just leave them to print overnight!

Trevor

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 am

Superb result Rik, I really do like these locos. And the open door on the port side of the smokebox is a really nice touch.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:41 pm

SimonWood wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:52 am Superb result Rik, I really do like these locos. And the open door on the port side of the smokebox is a really nice touch.
Quite a few photos show these doors open and some have the access plates to the motion clipped open. Not sure if they ever ran with them open or if they were just opened when stationary, but I created the 3D parts so they could be opened if so desired. Mine are left closed as my motor block doesn't have any motion.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm

And now in (nearly) all her glory ......

I think you can tell that she has been constructed to 15mm scale whereas the coaches are 16mm. When I've finished the last Southwold coach and/or the Glyn Valley coaches (all of which are 15mm), I'll see how she looks.

Looks like I might need to take an angle grinder to the platform at Peckforton - those skirts are quite wide.....

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:41 pm

She looks wonderful Rik, a real triumph in appearance and running. No complaints about the steam sound with this one as it isn't possible to see whether it ties in with wheel rotation.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:44 pm

I have no experience of sound cards, so what Rik, have you used in this model?

It certainly sounds effective in the video, and I was impressed with one which I saw at the Tallyllyn railway some time ago. So my interest is aroused.
Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:41 pm No complaints about the steam sound with this one as it isn't possible to see whether it ties in with wheel rotation.
That comment in particular has my attention! I suppose that means that they are normally just free running and might or might not be in time with the motion.

Is it possible to synchronise the sound with the motion? I can visualise a sensor identifying when the cylinder passes TDC - and therefor allowing the steam sound to be synchronised - but does anyone actually provide that?

Trevor

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:46 pm

Many cards have the ability..
Not so many supply the parts to achieve it.

You will need a Reed-switch, and magnet(s), or a hall-effect sensor.

Certainly, the MyLocoSound cards (steam obviously) have a 'chuff-trigger' input.

Phil.P

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:57 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:44 pm I have no experience of sound cards, so what Rik, have you used in this model?

It certainly sounds effective in the video, and I was impressed with one which I saw at the Tallyllyn railway some time ago. So my interest is aroused.
Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:41 pm No complaints about the steam sound with this one as it isn't possible to see whether it ties in with wheel rotation.
That comment in particular has my attention! I suppose that means that they are normally just free running and might or might not be in time with the motion.

Is it possible to synchronise the sound with the motion? I can visualise a sensor identifying when the cylinder passes TDC - and therefor allowing the steam sound to be synchronised - but does anyone actually provide that?

Trevor
Hi Trevor
I mainly use MyLocoSound cards but I do have at least six maybe seven others in use. The MLS card is, to my mind, by far the most cost effective card available. The chuff rate is either determined by the voltage being applied to the motor or, as you suggest, by a "chuff cam". In its most basic form the 'cam' is precisely that ' a cam attached to one of the driving wheels to close and open a microswitch to directly synch the chuffs to the wheel rotation (usually four beats per rev). The MLS card can cope with a cam providing one, two or four 'pulses' per rev. Slightly more sophisticated' cams' use a light, IR or magnetic sensor (eg a reed switch or Hall Effect sensor).

One of my locos has a chuff cam - see

I actually prefer using the motor voltage. Although it's trickier to synch the chuffs to the speed (different loads or gradients affect the speed at which the loco moves in relation to the voltage), it's usually only noticeable when the loco is moving slowly. The advantage of using the motor voltage is that it can sense when the loco is decelerating and so go into the coasting mode (see when the loco coasts to a halt in the GVT video) and with the most recent card provide brake squeal is it comes to a halt. For some reason, these effects don't seem to work when using a cam (unless I've not set up the card with the cam trigger correctly).

Peter Lucas, the brains behind the MLS card is a member of the forum so you could always PM him if you want further info.

Rik
------------------------

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:14 pm

Rik

Many thanks for all of that information.

I will do my research!

Trevor