Mountaineer

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mountaineer

Post by -steves- » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:52 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:01 pm Wow - that is worth looking into.

It looks as though the complex lining on Corris railway coaches (for example) - with all the intersecting celtic curls might be possible this way.

Trevor
Certainly worth looking into. Obviously the smoother and flatter the surface it's going on to is, the the better the adhesive will hold it done. In my case with not a gram of filler, filler primer and not seen a bit of sandpaper in it's life, the adhesion can be a bit of an issue to get it from the transfer paper to the model :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 pm

This looks interesting....

https://youtu.be/4XV9aHWMRFo

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:49 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:51 pm This looks interesting....

https://youtu.be/4XV9aHWMRFo

Rik
Funnily enough I've been trying to remember something I read about ages ago, about converting 3d printers. My memory was telling me it was about fitting a laser cutter head, not vinyl cutter, but same principle.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:39 am

Really impressed by the lining. I've been contemplating one of these cutters for a while (it's on the list of desired gadgets along with a with a resin printer!)

Are you able to cut lettering with it?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:58 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:39 am Really impressed by the lining. I've been contemplating one of these cutters for a while (it's on the list of desired gadgets along with a with a resin printer!)

Are you able to cut lettering with it?
Yes, it can cut any shape that can be designed in CAD. I can cut down to about 0.5mm lines, but they are a little difficult to put on things and to "weed" (pick out the bits you don't want)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Ok, I think I have gone too far now, these lines are 0.75mm wide, I agree, the design us a little long, I will know for next time.

IMG20220224155959.jpg
IMG20220224155959.jpg (4.17 MiB) Viewed 3464 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:09 pm

That looks Ok to me Steve, but am I correct in thinking this would only really work for one-colour lining? I realise that in theory you could cut say, a white line and two matching outer black lines, but I can't imagine even trying to get them all lined up!
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:00 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:09 pm That looks Ok to me Steve, but am I correct in thinking this would only really work for one-colour lining? I realise that in theory you could cut say, a white line and two matching outer black lines, but I can't imagine even trying to get them all lined up!
Yes and no. It's far easier to do single colour lines that's for sure. If you wanted say a red line next to a white line, you could CAD them up next to each other to ensure correct sizing, then separate them for printing, then put them on the same transfer tape (with very careful positioning) and put them on the model as one. That is one of the things my wife wants to try next. :thumbup:

If you wanted a gold line with a black line inside it, again, same theory, but just put the black line on a wider gold line and on the transfer tape. again, goes on the model as one. :thumbup:

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:45 am

I have been looking at the photo with Little Wonder in the background - and wondered about your handrails. Then I looked again at the final photos of Mountaineer, again it was the handrails I noticed.

I printed the handrails on Welsh Pony on the resin printer - as one unit handrails and mounting knobs. They are so easily bent and damaged that I am looking for a better way of making the handrails.

So it looks like you are printing the knobs, and using rod for the handrail - which seems a better method.

I would like to know a bit more about exactly what you find works best.

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:45 am I have been looking at the photo with Little Wonder in the background - and wondered about your handrails. Then I looked again at the final photos of Mountaineer, again it was the handrails I noticed.

I printed the handrails on Welsh Pony on the resin printer - as one unit handrails and mounting knobs. They are so easily bent and damaged that I am looking for a better way of making the handrails.

So it looks like you are printing the knobs, and using rod for the handrail - which seems a better method.

I would like to know a bit more about exactly what you find works best.

Trevor
Yes I print the knobs and use a metal rod. The main thing is to make sure to use as larger "bit" as possible (the bit that goes from the knob into the body work). The larger that is, the less chance of it breaking, as I used to have the same issue with them breaking off where they went into the body work, they do seem significantly better now and I have not managed to break one as yet.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:00 pm

Many thanks

I will try the same approach

Trevor