The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:45 am

Phil.P wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:16 am I assume that the camera fore-shortens the distances?

You appear to have a lot of land to play with. - Not sure if I envy you for that, or not?
I seem to have lost my 'land management' Mojo. I have not done anything of note outside this year, as yet.

Perhaps the restarting of garden bin collections, will spur me on?

Phil.P
Yes the camera does foreshorten the distance - it's actually 62 feet. A ridiculous thing to try to dig out by hand. However when I look back at what I dug out during lockdowns I am convinced that it is worth attempting. Phil is also correct in saying that as I dig it out it gets worse as the land does rise.

Of course the real reason for doing it is to provide proper access to the back of the raised beds, but at least there is the motivation of creating more railway which I hope will keep me going.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:47 am

gilfachphil wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:56 pm The greenhouse is a fair distance away as far as I remember and with every yard of progress I suspect the job gets more difficult as the land rises and there is more need for digging out and I guess retaining wall might feature.

Good to see you posting again Trevor, there seems to have been a hiatus.

Phil
Yes Phil - it started raining again - and the land became saturated so I retired to the workshop!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:41 am

Phil.P wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:16 am I assume that the camera fore-shortens the distances?

You appear to have a lot of land to play with. - Not sure if I envy you for that, or not?
I seem to have lost my 'land management' Mojo. I have not done anything of note outside this year, as yet.

Perhaps the restarting of garden bin collections, will spur me on?

Phil.P
Yes a large garden is a mixed blessing. Particularly when it's on a hillside.

However it is both an opportunity and a challenge. An opportunity to make a railway which follows the contours, and climbs a hill - just like a real slate railway in N Wales. A challenge to keep control of it. We usually lose control of large areas of it by mid June!

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat May 06, 2023 1:21 pm

The first section of wall - and track bed - is complete, and I have started to dig out the second section:
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3478 times
The camera foreshortens the distance. Each of the concrete gravel boards for the track are 6 ft long - which makes that short section of wall 12 ft long.
It is a bit of effort - but I am on schedule!

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor Thompson on Sat May 06, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat May 06, 2023 8:31 pm

Impressive stuff. How much have you climbed so far ? Any idea of the ruling gradient?

Don

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat May 06, 2023 11:05 pm

Don

Yes I have tried to make the line 1 in 60 as far as I can, with the curve on the viaduct at 1 in 80. However I am currently working at 1 to 50.

I had hoped that the current gradient would take me to somewhere around waist height when I got to the greenhouse. I actually did a bit of "surveying" a couple of weeks ago and It is a pity that I didn't get the level and the long tape out earlier.

I now know that the land rises at 1 in 60 from that last set of steps to the back of the greenhouse. So as fast as I am trying to lift the trackbed, the land is rising in parallel with my progress. Instead of the terminus station being at waist height, it is going to be nearer knee height (I hope!!!). It could have been worse - at least I am not digging the Bakerloo line.

I haven't measured exactly how far the line has climbed so far but it must be about 2 metres.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 07, 2023 8:48 am

I was wondering how work was progressing, Trevor.
How about another spiralling trestle round the greenhouse to start the next level???? :twisted:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 07, 2023 10:11 pm

Your enthusiasm and work rate are awesome Trevor. You could always dig out a pit at thend to make the operating height more comfortable!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon May 08, 2023 9:29 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:48 am I was wondering how work was progressing, Trevor.
How about another spiralling trestle round the greenhouse to start the next level???? :twisted:

Rik
I think I am pushing at the bounds of "planning permission" by invading Dinah's domain as far as the greenhouse!

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon May 08, 2023 9:45 am

Domestic peace is rather important especially if you partner is a keen gardener.

Don

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Thu May 18, 2023 6:40 pm

Looks fantastic! What are the plans for the greenhouse area? another run around loop with a few sidings?
Jake

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri May 19, 2023 11:32 am

I see (at least) a siding...
Loading facilities for tomatoes, and a sizeable crane, for cucumbers!

Phil.P

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed May 24, 2023 9:49 am

Tropic Blunder wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:40 pm Looks fantastic! What are the plans for the greenhouse area? another run around loop with a few sidings?
My plan is a model of Duffws station, with carriage sidings, run round loop, goods sidings and shed and slate sidings (going off to an incline?). That is what I had in mind - and we will see what happens in reality when I get there.

I may well have to find a use for that composite bridge I built a month back as well, and that could lead to an extension around the back of the greenhouse.

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor Thompson on Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed May 24, 2023 9:58 am

An unexpected advantageous by product of running an area group meeting on the railway last Saturday has been the identification of a number of issues with the track.
IMG_9868.JPG
IMG_9868.JPG (4.6 MiB) Viewed 3171 times
I had never quite been sure if an occasional derailment was caused by the track or the derailed vehicle.
IMG_9853.JPG
IMG_9853.JPG (3.5 MiB) Viewed 3171 times
I came away with a short list of things to fix!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed May 24, 2023 10:00 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:58 am An unexpected advantageous by product of running an area group meeting on the railway last Saturday has been the identification of a number of issues with the track.

IMG_9868.JPG

I had never quite been sure if an occasional derailment was caused by the track or the derailed vehicle.

IMG_9853.JPG

I came away with a short list of things to fix!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed May 24, 2023 10:20 am

Firstly one of the first set of points I made (10 years ago?) was a problem. The frog was lower than the wing rails - and the gap between them was too narrow. The chairs which have a pin fitting into a hole in the wooden sleepers were coming out of the holes as well. Most things seemed to cope with it but not everything. So I removed it and rebuilt it:
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG (5.17 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
It just needs ballasting when we get some damper weather.

The curved 3 way point at Tan - y - Bwlch also caused derailments. The outer set of point blades were too high at their inner end where they pivot. It was just ballast stuck under the rail where it moves causing it to rise a mm above the rail level - enough to cause some things to derail when going downhill (particularly my Cleminson 6 wheel coal wagon). Easily fixed:
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG (4.63 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
One of the path crossings where the track is actually stainless angle set into the concrete turned out to have the angles set too close together at one end. 31.5mm apart instead of 32mm apart. Perhaps the more significant problem was that this led to the fish plates narrowing the gap even further, where my attempt to create the rail profile had not been quite good enough. Fixed with some judicious grinding of the angle and then very gently on the fishplates:
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3020.JPG (3.72 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
And finally a test train consisting of all those things which seem to like derailing. The Cleminson 6 wheeler, the bolster wagons, a brake van and some slate wagons for the sake of it:
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG (5.11 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
And it all ran up to the head of rail and back without anything coming off! Very pleasing.

There is one point left (the first I made) which I will also rebuild - but not today.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:14 pm

The extension has been progressing - but of course it is behind schedule (by about 3 weeks). However there is progress:
IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG (5.11 MiB) Viewed 2936 times
This section of wall incorporates a double width shelf for the railway which will accommodate a passing place.

Dinah has been getting enthusiastic about planting around the railway, the result of this years Peterborough show, and garden railway visits. So we have been looking at the pile of rocks in the middle of the trestle viaduct:
IMG_3084.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG (6.14 MiB) Viewed 2936 times
Our first thoughts were about a pond in the middle, which could have included a stream with rocky waterfalls going under one of the trestles. We have reconsidered our ideas and now think that a castle on the pile of rocks might be more appropriate.

Castles. We started looking at the Welsh castles we are familiar with (castles - a passion of Dinah's). Firstly Castel - y - Bere, appealed. Look it up online loads of photos and a plan easily found. I won't add them to this as I am sure they are copyright. The immediate problem was the realisation that castles are HUGE. A scale representation of Castel-y-Bere would be 6m long. Stokesay Castle (on the border between Monmouthshire and Wales) was our next thought. That led to the realisation that a 13th century castle, both a Welsh one and a Norman one of the period would have a round keep in the centre and walls with towers at the corners surrounding it.

The inspired bit was the realisation that I don't have to build the whole thing. So this will be a ruined tower on top of that mound, and the (even more ruinous) remains of walls and towers in various places lower down the mound surrounding the main tower that SUGGEST the rest of the castle. That will form the basis for the planting on that mound. Dinah is hoping that plants which give the impression of brambles and bracken overgrowing the walls will create a suitable background for the viaduct.

So the keep of the castle is designed and I have started to print it:
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 15.36.54.png
Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 15.36.54.png (119.09 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
The tower is about 300mm diameter at the base. You can see that the bottom section is "battered" (it is tapered - to a smaller diameter at the top). So that is printed in 4 parts - 1/4 at a time. The middle Layer has three identical parts and one unique section which has the door in it. The top layer is again in 4 parts, but only two are the same (mirror images of each other), and the other 2 are different - on higher and one lower. That top section is intended to look as though the mortar has decayed and stones have fallen off.

Another big building - each of the bottom tapered layers are taking 24 hours to print. Updates as this progresses.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:40 pm

This should be interesting to watch :D
You probably have already, but you could take another look at Rik and Peter Butler's layouts, both of which have ruined castles.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:48 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:40 pm This should be interesting to watch :D
You probably have already, but you could take another look at Rik and Peter Butler's layouts, both of which have ruined castles.
I am aware of both railways, and their castles, as you suggest. However I like to be different (difficult?) so feel the need to create something from first principles.

After all it would be boring to see me copy someone else's castle!

The castle building is progressing:
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 2776 times
The first section of the battered base.
IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG (4.25 MiB) Viewed 2776 times
Two sections printed and roughly in position to give an impression of how this will look. Bearing in mind that the tower will be at least twice as high as this it is going to be an imposing building - and that I suppose is part of the role of a castle - to dominate. However in scale terms it is quite a small structure as castles keeps go.

As an aside for anyone contemplating printing in ABS. We are enjoying a stretch of extremely hot weather here in the UK at the moment. Before printing the first section I took all of the insulation off the printer - thinking that it would be over 30 degrees in the workshop, and it wouldn't need the insulation to keep the print chamber hot. That first section came out with one significant crack and a few minor splits. Nothing which made it unusable but it needed repairing. I put the insulation back on before printing the second section. There were no cracks or splits in that. The moral of this is that the print needs to be kept hot - its the premature cooling which causes ABS to be so difficult to print with.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:53 am

The second section of retaining wall is now completed, and digging out for the third section started:
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG (5.36 MiB) Viewed 2760 times
When the third section is complete I can start to make track again to take the railhead to the new passing place in the second section of wall.

Trevor