The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:28 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:34 am Fantastic!

Love the voice-activated whistle too...

I'm SO impressed with how your line's looking- THAT's what I'm after next time around!

Agreed, the last notion in particular. :salute:
Sorry I missed you, Mr. Spectre. Maybe in a decade when I have a line again, you might return to pick nits up here in the canefields. :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 pm

I did not know you are in the queue for Mr Specture. I have the box ready, maybe a quick detour via your neck of the woods.
Email me darrell@llewellynbikesc.com

Old Man Aaron wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Andrew wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:34 am Fantastic!

Love the voice-activated whistle too...

I'm SO impressed with how your line's looking- THAT's what I'm after next time around!

Agreed, the last notion in particular. :salute:
Sorry I missed you, Mr. Spectre. Maybe in a decade when I have a line again, you might return to pick nits up here in the canefields. :lol:
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 pm

Slomo in the tender, a zero back lash coupling to the tender. However Terry has stopped making Slomos so I will have to make my own if there is a next time. Next is a 4 1/2" scale Foden Steam Lorry to the REx drawings.
There is no one in the world that can convince me that Slomos are a waste of time. We even shunted with the coal fire loco. For me the realistic movement is vital, more important than the rivet count and such like.
The exhaust beat is a result of a radiant super heater and 1.00mm blast nozzle, it makes that nice beat all by accident. The blast is a bit too much when the fire is new, but not too bad, but better for when the fire is starting to sulk as the bed gets too thick.
I did not make the whistle, it is a Regener one, on its side with the aperture facing down and the plumbing all down hill so that draining of condensate is facilitated. It works well down to 15psi.

My video production techniques are very limited, however thankyou. I promise to make attempts to improve my future efforts of moving pictures.

I have a few other things to attend to before the paint processes take hold. One is our trip to Wales this year with 3 weeks volunteering at Boston Lodge.
Colour, no effing idea yet.

Mr Specture is fair dinkum piss pot now. Mother would be not be impressed. He is also a hit with the ladies down here. He is hard pressed to keep his trousers on.

FWLR wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 am Brilliant videos Dazza. You loco does run smooth and the chuff is just right I think.Also the whistle is better than a lot of the branded types, really realistic I thought.

Are you having to dismantle the loco now to paint it and what colours are you thinking of.

Did Mr In-Spector get slightly drunk on is last day at yours. Knowing about Aussie hospitality he would have.. :lol: :lol:
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:30 am

That is such a brilliant idea.

(I did not make the whistle, it is a Regener one, on its side with the aperture facing down and the plumbing all down hill so that draining of condensate is facilitated. It works well down to 15psi.) :salute:

It works really well anyway and as for your videoing, you did a brilliant job if it was your first time. I have seen however MAM's loco under steam running on the line, so I guess it's not, so again brilliant job on the videoing. :thumbright:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:52 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 pm I did not know you are in the queue for Mr Specture. I have the box ready, maybe a quick detour via your neck of the woods.
Oh I was in the queue, in fact I was the one responsible for his detour to the Southern Hemisphere! But, I had to delay and later withdraw my spot in the queue, when my line was lifted - Who knows when I'll be in a position to build a new one. Soon as I can drive down your way, I'll happily gate-crash one of your gatherings though. :lol:

Three weeks work at Boston Lodge, can't think of much better than that. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:39 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:52 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 pm I did not know you are in the queue for Mr Specture. I have the box ready, maybe a quick detour via your neck of the woods.
Oh I was in the queue, in fact I was the one responsible for his detour to the Southern Hemisphere! But, I had to delay and later withdraw my spot in the queue, when my line was lifted - Who knows when I'll be in a position to build a new one. Soon as I can drive down your way, I'll happily gate-crash one of your gatherings though. :lol:

Three weeks work at Boston Lodge, can't think of much better than that. :thumbright:
Heck, I contacted Philipy and asked him who was next and he gave me a UK address. We will get him back one day. You are welcome to come down for an arvo and evening run. Ben Gardner speaks often of collecting you and brining you along for visit. MAM and I welcome tyou to come and visit. Stay the night if you wish. You will be well fed.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:01 pm

That's very kind of you. One of these days, I certainly will. :)
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by DafyddElvy » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:32 am

For anyone who can I would fully recommend speaking with Dazza about an invite to see what is some real inspiration, superb line, nice rolling stock and great company, thank you both for a great afternoon/evening.

Dazza, I plan to follow building a similar track base to yourself, if you were to do it again is their anything different you would do, would you maybe have wood or plastic intermittently inbedded in the concrete base to fix the track down to?

Thanks, David

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:57 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:32 am For anyone who can I would fully recommend speaking with Dazza about an invite to see what is some real inspiration, superb line, nice rolling stock and great company, thank you both for a great afternoon/evening.

Dazza, I plan to follow building a similar track base to yourself, if you were to do it again is their anything different you would do, would you maybe have wood or plastic intermittently inbedded in the concrete base to fix the track down to?

Thanks, David
David, it was fun afternoon and evening.Regards the track bed, no changes but maybe a little less deep with concrete. I am happy either drilling the sleepers with a little jig that slips between the rails and the drilling directly through the sleeper hole with a masonary bit and plastic masonary plugs brass, slotted countersunk screws. A drill was twisted to give a counter sink to the Peco sleeper to nestle the screw head in lower. Hides it and a dribble of ballast hides the head. Some times I elongated the sleeper hole side the track sideways a millimetre, it helped where I try to have transitions between straight and curved sections. So nothing I would change but our walls to have 1200mm Min radius, but would require a TARDIS to go back to 2012 when the walls were laid out.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:29 pm

Saturday afternoon Captain Plod with a glass of Red in hand was testing MAM's Cranmore with it's recently fitted RC to the regulator. The loco had been running for a while (40 -43min run times) then for the first time there was a derailment in the Orchid House tunnel. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Launch the Thunderbirds, out with the Flying Gang...... Cute little fella got his tail caught in the Slomo chain, Plod let him go down the behind the Cabbage Tree Station yard fence. It seemed no harm was done to the little fella. Plod is sure it is a Crown Snake, he has not seen one here for some years so he was pleased to see this one has survived the attention of the hungry Kookaburras. " Now where did I put my glass down............"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:22 pm

I'm so pleased to hear the little fella was unharmed, perhaps this has been the cause for my occasional derailments, but somehow I doubt it!
The most important thing in your report is the satisfactory return of the glass of red following such a harrowing experience.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:29 pm Saturday afternoon Captain Plod with a glass of Red in hand was testing MAM's Cranmore with it's recently fitted RC to the regulator. The loco had been running for a while (40 -43min run times) then for the first time there was a derailment in the Orchid House tunnel. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Launch the Thunderbirds, out with the Flying Gang...... Cute little fella got his tail caught in the Slomo chain, Plod let him go down the behind the Cabbage Tree Station yard fence. It seemed no harm was done to the little fella. Plod is sure it is a Crown Snake, he has not seen one here for some years so he was pleased to see this one has survived the attention of the hungry Kookaburras. " Now where did I put my glass down............"

Were there 2 snakes?
The last 2 pictures look like a red belly black snake, if it is that would have made putting your hand into the tunnel to fix a derailment very interesting.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:40 pm

GAP wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:28 pm
Were there 2 snakes?
The last 2 pictures look like a red belly black snake, if it is that would have made putting your hand into the tunnel to fix a derailment very interesting.
[/quote]

One snake, Plod has confirmed it is a "Crown Snake" they can have red tones on their belly and some times very yellow. Look at the head, they have a distinctive head pattern. We had them before and had them identified. A garden hose is used to blow out the tunnels and clean the track before running and we send "Zing Zing" (Yellow Battery thingie) around to run the road first, but had been running for a while (60mins) so this fella went into the tunnel or was snuggled up in the crevices and got woken up by the steam trains and tried to join in the fun. You should never try to alight onto a moving train in a tunnel when you are a scale 20 foot long reptile.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 pm

Slomo goodness behind Cranmore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIIEnGbz4Hc

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:00 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:40 pm
Were there 2 snakes?

One snake, Plod has confirmed it is a "Crown Snake" they can have red tones on their belly and some times very yellow. Look at the head, they have a distinctive head pattern. We had them before and had them identified. A garden hose is used to blow out the tunnels and clean the track before running and we send "Zing Zing" (Yellow Battery thingie) around to run the road first, but had been running for a while (60mins) so this fella went into the tunnel or was snuggled up in the crevices and got woken up by the steam trains and tried to join in the fun. You should never try to alight onto a moving train in a tunnel when you are a scale 20 foot long reptile.

[/quote]

I will have to keep an eye out after reading about them my yard is an ideal habitat for one, I have skinks moist with leaf litter and plenty of places to hide in my garden. I would much prefer a carpet snake to scare the possum away though.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:44 pm

GAP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:00 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:40 pm
Were there 2 snakes?

I will have to keep an eye out after reading about them my yard is an ideal habitat for one, I have skinks moist with leaf litter and plenty of places to hide in my garden. I would much prefer a carpet snake to scare the possum away though.
[/quote]

We also get plenty of Carpet Pythons here, they gobble up the occasional possum and flying fox. Some years ago one day some green tree snakes emerged all at once from the block work on the railway. I have a pic of that some where in this thread.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:05 am

Brilliant that Dazzza :salute:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:05 am Brilliant that Dazzza :salute:
Thanks
Cheers

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 am

The new Peckett looks great at a sensible speed. :thumbup:

I trust the firefighting speeder is following, with that glowing open ashpan? :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:46 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:45 am The new Peckett looks great at a sensible speed. :thumbup:

I trust the firefighting speeder is following, with that glowing open ashpan? :lol:

The workshop has been booked to attend to that ashpan problem with the summer high danger fire season nearly upon us.