G&DR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Re: G&DR Rolling Stock

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:28 pm

So cracking back on with the wagons, and whilst the other half takes the little one to see his nanny. I took the opportunity to create some bits for the van rake. Thew pasts so far have just been pieces of Balsa, plasticard and triangular plastic strip along with rivets from Cambrian models.

As mentioned previously I'm turning one into meant van.

The basis of this is the BR 12T version as this has more overt detail differences.

I've also built up some vents for the generic vent vans again - based on the BR 12t types.

One atonal thing to make those who are not familiar with IP kits is sometime they include spacing lines to have identify where the sola bars go and others do not. I've found for 45mm gauge stock create two line 60mm apart should suffice, the three line going across the width are to help show where the wheels are going. For these models I'm going to have a 50mm wheelbase.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am

I also managed to make the vents for the fruit van.

I'm basing this on the GWR type so it requires double vents at the top and either side of the ends.

The basal wood vents and plastic surround were cut and sanded down to profile, along with the complimentary Cambrian rivets.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 am

I really like the details you're adding to each van - vents etc. They really bring them to life!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:51 am

This is great stuff and shows what a difference a little detailing can do.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:01 am

Cheers guys.

I'm hoping it all pulls off in the end. Still a way to go but most of the body fittings have been completed.

I've managed to get the main bits for the refrigerator wagon sorted.

This is loosely base don the LNER refrigerator van and will be painted accordingly. The vents unlike the real thing stand proud as it just seemed easier to do this way. The ladders are repurposed from the signals I built a while back (I'll be eventually returning to them).

The fittings have just been place don loosely so this definitely will not be the final positioning,

In other news, the brake van was tried out yesterday and much to my surprised it performed admirably. The floating wheels kept contact on the track work which had suffered the ravagers of white and rain. The loco and wagons, however didn't seem to be enjoying the rough and ready track.

Yet again the apprentice wheel tapper was more than happy to lend a hand - once he finished. his brew.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 pm

Despite having a lovely four day holiday away from work it's been jam packed now that we're allowed to visit some friends and family members outside. However, I managed to cram some modelling in tonight.

So far, and thanks to an anonymous benefactor I've began plans to extend the line somewhat over a vegetable patch which was put in a place where vegetables struggled to grow and increase the run round loop as well. As a result I'm going to be modifying all my coal wagons and add one or two more when time and money allow.

I've removed coal from four of them now and did as much sanding back as I could. Most of them will just receive penciled in planking but one or two sustained some damaged on the floor which pay require a new floor which I plan to add using some thin plywood. They need some paint work touching up and the blue wagon got a real hammering from try sand and grit on the workbench so I'm going to repaint it completely. It is one of my favourite wagons and it is with a heavy heart but I'm planning to buy some Brandbright 5 plank wagons which will receive this livery.

I've also managed to make some of the vents for the fruit van. I'm loosely basing this on the GWR/BR type van. There were deceptively difficult but I managed to get there in the end.

I think that most of the individual body work to do for this wagons. everything else can be done in batches. As previously mentioned a planned extension of the line will mean I can potentially add more wagons to trains so watch this space for more varieties of these wagons.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am

I really do like the way you think things out and apply them to your wagons. Some brilliant modelling and creativity.

Shows what you can do with very little money spent I presume.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:20 am

Why Thank you.

Very true, these wagons are fairly cheap and reasonably to built. They're also very simple kits which allow themselves to be upgraded and modified quite easily and cheaply.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:22 am

They look promising. The vents look superb! As you suggest, I bet they were really fiddly to make.

Rik
------------------------

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:24 pm

I've been plodding along with the vans and pleased to say on the whole - the major components are done.

I have been tackling some brake gear bought from Cambrian Models. The original plan was to shorten to shorted them to bring the wheelbase in a little but I think they should go round my curve with a slightly longer wheelbase.

On the whole it wasn't the easiest of jobs, drilling holes in the brake gear for the pitots was a delicate job and I a couple where broken. I also made the mistake of adding the loops rather than wait till final assembly as well if they come loose I can reattached as and when.

Just to give an impression of the parts I've done - here's the generic vent van with all the sub components with everything to modify the wagon on the cutting mat.

Any question's please feel free to ask.

In addition, I'm re-reworking the brake van. The red I used to finish the modifications was a different brand and the results were quite stark. Also I'm adding some additional detailing similar to the vans.

Some filling of the original holes and I think I've located the correct type of paint I used (I should have kept a record as the brake van was built about 8 years ago and my memory isn't great at the best of times)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:27 pm

What excellent attention to detail. That is indeed a fine bit of modelling.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:33 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:27 pm What excellent attention to detail. That is indeed a fine bit of modelling.

Rik
Agreed.... some great work there and time well spent.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:52 pm

A very nice piece of rolling stock, and some good detailing as well :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:28 am

Looks mighty fine that wagon. Love the colour too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:46 am

Wow, that brake gear looks really fiddly! Time-consuming too... It'll be worth it though - the detailing's certainly paying off on that lovely brake van.

Coincidentally, I'm planning to work on some brake gear too today, but it'll be my "OK from a galloping horse" simplified version!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Brake gear - I've been down the route of 'manufacturing' my own representative brake gear - but only once :shock: . Now I know Cambrian do the detail parts I shall consider getting more of my stock braked up. Looking really good - keep us updated :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am

Thank you everyone.

Ah the brake gear, well, pfft where do I start. A lot of effort and anything but the gentlest of handling will cause all your hard work to fall apart. I'm hoping it's going to be worth it in the end. As a result I am considering to invest in a 3d printing machine as the overall effect is alright but I'm hoping it just blends into the wagon rather than stands out as I'm still not 100% convinced. The amount of wagons I've got to build or improve on is making me weight up the costs and effort of building my own. The Cambrian stuff is brilliant but for what I was doing I may need to reconsider how to build it.

anyway, I had a house to myself few a few day so I managed to crack on with a bit of modelling, the van's have been given their initial livery. All Tamiya SPRAY paints, the meat van was Dull red, the Refrigerated van was a white of some description (I'll check that out later), the fruit van was Red Brown and the two standard van were NATO brown. Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.
All different, but I love the way they harmonise, they'll look great in a train - well chosen!

I'll try to take a photo of my simplified brake gear later in case it's of interest - nothing like as detailed as Cambrian, but it gives the impression that something's going on down there, which is good enough for me...

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:12 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am As a result I am considering to invest in a 3d printing machine as the overall effect is alright but I'm hoping it just blends into the wagon rather than stands out as I'm still not 100% convinced. The amount of wagons I've got to build or improve on is making me weight up the costs and effort of building my own.
If you look at page 40 of Andrew's (WH)WHR Rolling Stock thread, you'll see the 3d printed brake gear I did for his tipper wagons. There is a picture showing the complete kit including the brake components and then lower down is a side picture of the wagon with it assembled.
It isn't intended to be to scale or any specific prototype but it does add the necessary cluttered underframe impression and is (hopefully) chunky enough to withstand normal operations.

May give you some idea on whether it is worth going down the 3d printing route for you.
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:20 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:48 am
Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am Each colour conveys the wagon's specific duty.
All different, but I love the way they harmonise, they'll look great in a train - well chosen!

I'll try to take a photo of my simplified brake gear later in case it's of interest - nothing like as detailed as Cambrian, but it gives the impression that something's going on down there, which is good enough for me...

Andrew.
That would be brilliant we you can find the time. Thank you.