Merlin Mayflower and...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Merlin Mayflower and...

Post by SKGLB » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:31 pm

some questions, but…

first a few words how the Mayflower came to me.

Hutzel that's what it says on the name plate of the Merlin Mayflower, which I recently bought in an Austrian online sales platform for what I think was little money.
Hutzel, according to my research, means shriveled, dried pear in northern German dialects, sometimes unflattering for an older (dried up) lady.

The Mayflower was not wrinkled but oily, dirty, probably in operation for the last time in 2018, batteries between the frames were from this date of manufacture. The Loco probably built in the 80s.

Placed on a rolling road, filled with gas, water and oil. Lit the burner. After a few minutes, steam will develop. The safety valve remained quiet, as did the pressure gauge. A few half hearted turns of the wheels, but in slow motion.

Gas off and the locomotive dismantled.

The burner, built as a slot burner similar to earlier Regner burners, burned outside the tube, only on 2-3 slots.
My guess is he gets too much air at the nozzle, tinkered a cuff and pushed it over the air holes.
A fine wire mesh is bent into a small roll and pushed inside the burner.
Now more flames on the slots.

But a burner that is operated outside the burner tube shows a different flame pattern than inside the boiler, burner tube.

I also cleaned all bolts of the linkage from oil deposits, re-lubricated and screwed in again with a little screw locking, the bearing bores look quite good, no great wear.

The next time it is fired, the lubricating oil comes out of the top screw connections of the lubricator.
The old seal, probably a piece of rubber, had a crack, as did the plastic button for the gas regulator, probably a result of the thermal load.

A matching O-ring was added for the oiler filler plug and drainage screw.
Turned a new gas control knob out of plastic.

The boiler was also cleaned, the screw on the back wall of the boiler was inoperative and showed a suspicious oil film. Wash the boiler several times with a degreasing agent and hot water and also with vinegar against possible calcification.
Now the wheels were moving very cheerfully in the forward / reverse position of the valve.
The sleeve for the air holes turned out to be in vain, the burner ignites quite well even without it via the chimney.

I also removed the wire mesh in the burner again, it works fine even without these mods.

For the use of the blind screw in the back wall of the boiler, I considered between a water feed or a steam whistle. I chose a steam whistle.
IMG_5984.JPG
IMG_5984.JPG (155.3 KiB) Viewed 9486 times
A small fitting for the Regner pipe valve was soldered with silver solder, a servo installed.
Regner's whistle did not emit many tones apart from bubbling water, exchanged for one from a Chinese dealer, this sounds better now, see video.

Otherwise I have replaced pretty much everything that was worn or defective over the years by the operation of the - how many? - previous owners.
Unfortunately there are a lot of small blue paint splatters all over the locomotive, as if a paint spray can had exploded nearby, these are very stubborn and I also removed some with paint thinner. But it would be a tedious task to remove them all. You can see them in the pictures, some are on the sheet under the boiler, so only for ants to see.

I leave it that way, I've polished all tarnished brass parts, I don't attach great importance to the fact that a machine corresponds to the model - whichever model - right down to the last rivet. It should work technically and it does now.

A current video from this morning or afternoon would not have been possible on the terrace of my house, we currently have a good weather phase, sunshine every day and temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius, even with sun protection it is no longer bearable in the afternoon.

Of course I cheated a bit, the nice exhaust blow comes from a Summerland Chuffer, the slow speed from a self-built Momentum Van - two Z-cars - built in.
2 Z-Cars, maybe a little too much, it's very loud. But it works.

Last weekend - after a long time - there was another meeting of people who build and operate steam models, on a large layout -45mm- I set them to this gauge, I could run several gas fillings, no particular problems, for a Merlin from the 80s .

There is still a few work to be done, some rivets for the front and rear buffer beam, other couplings, the Merlin couplings are simple sheet metal brackets and are not attached at the right height.

Oh yes, my questions as I mentioned at the beginning. In this forum I read that the threads of the many banjo screws are M5 x 0.5, that's true. The slot of the drain plug on the oiler was very - how should I put it - destroyed. I turned a new screw. The rest of the screws used give me some puzzles, which -british- threads were used here?
If someone knows this, I would be very grateful for any hints.
The thread of the safety valve is also such a thing, was able to speak to a very experienced model maker at the steam meeting when I showed him the valve, we measured a diameter of the thread of approx. 5.88 mm and, according to a Witworth thread gauge, a thread gauge Thread 24G 3/16 “, but that can't go together like that, was it a mystery even for this experienced model maker?

If you are interested, I will continue to report here about the progress and modifications to my Merlin.

Greetings from Austria, Gerald ;)

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Merlin Mayflower and...

Post by SKGLB » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 pm

forgot to insert the photos
IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5989.JPG (128.41 KiB) Viewed 9485 times
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG (139.27 KiB) Viewed 9485 times

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks for posting Gerald. You've done good work on restoring the locomotive to working order, and with the Momentum van it runs very realistically. I have also built a 2 zecar momentum van which got it's first try out this afternoon - unfortunately one of the zecars has a horrible graunching noise in use, which makes the noise from it even worse.
I can't help with thread gauges I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you. And finally, could you give a link to your 'chinese' whistle please?
keep up the good work and do please keep posting. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:22 am

Congratulations on bringing that old Merlin back from the dead. Worth an 'Attaboy' I would think.

Fom the sound of things the name used would be equivalent to the english term 'prune face', not flattering, but not restricted to just old ladies........

Not surprised about leaks from faulty seals and boiler scaling on a loco that old. First thing I would do to overhaul an old loco is to replace all o-rings and washers, the next would be clean and descale the boiler. Third would be replace any damaged fasteners. My first loco needed to have all fasteners replaced, as a previous owner appeared to have used needle nose pliers in lieu of proper spanners. Sigh.....

In respect of your question about thread standards........

Tom Cooper had an 'interesting' approach to engineering at the best of times, but Beck parts were used in earlier Merlin models which accounts for the mix of metric and british fasteners.

Any british threads used would likely be ME threads, usually found in pipe fittings, boiler bushes, etc., or BA threads which are more likely to be used as general fasteners for bolting parts together. There are also the US threads in the UNC and UNF to consider, similar to, but not interchangeable with, British BSW and BSF threads.

5.88mm OD doesn't convert to any normal english thread. It's closer to an ISO M6 thread than anything in either the ME or BA series. Given Merlin models Beck ancestry, the problem thread may be a metric thread in one of the ISO MF6 series. ISO threads have a truncated form and the actual OD of an M6 thread will be 5.8 - 5.9mm.

To identify the thread you will also need to measure the thread pitch. Also note that ME threads use the 55deg thread like Whitworth and BA threads use a 47 1/2deg thread. UNC and UNF use the same 60deg thread as ISO metric threads.

I use the site below for identifying odd threads, as it covers all the thread standards I'm aware of and some I've never heard of, let alone set eyes on.........

[url][https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html/url]

Hope that helps. It's a good feeling when you bring an ageing shelf queen back to life.

Regards,
Graeme

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:20 am

Hello and thank you for your positive comments.
Lonsdaler wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:12 pm And finally, could you give a link to your 'chinese' whistle please?
The steam whistles can be purchased here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372159025061?h ... SwUlxaJzUq

I used the one with 12mm OD, there is also one with 8mm OD, this one has a higher tone.
But from experience I can say that both need a steam pressure of at least 15-20 psi.
GTB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:22 am 5.88mm OD doesn't convert to any normal english thread. It's closer to an ISO M6 thread than anything in either the ME or BA series.
Hello Greame
Your reference to the M6 ​​thread was spot on, I also found out with the metric thread gauge that it was an M6 x 1.0 thread.
Excellent, the Merlin safety valve blown off at approx. 20 -25 psi, too little to build up constant pressure for longer journeys.
I replaced the spring in the valve with a stronger one and also the old O-ring.
Now I get a pressure of around 40 psi.

But manipulating a safety valve in this way can also fail.

Now I can manufacture an M6 adapter myself on the lathe and install one of these WeBee valves.
I already have one in use on a Roundhouse Sandy River, no more constant whispering, the valve opens at around 40 psi and as soon as the pressure drops it closes again.

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 am

Attentive viewers of the pictures will have noticed that the sign with the serial number is missing on the left side of the cabin, mine has the number 460.
3.jpg
3.jpg (263.12 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
Wrapped the existing sign with a plasticine collar.
This form is filled with a liquid and heat-resistant silicone consisting of 2 components.
The silicone has hardened, a test casting with resin has resulted in a nice sign. Unfortunately, no photo of the resin sign, I can't get along with my camera, I'm not a professional in these things.
Either I use the resin sign or I make a second half out of silicone and then pour tin into this mold.

Will continue to report.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:28 am

That's very nice - congratulations on getting it running so well!

I've never owned a Mayflower but have always liked the look of them very much - as a young teenager I spent a lot of time looking at the Merlin catalogue!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am

SKGLB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 am Either I use the resin sign or I make a second half out of silicone and then pour tin into this mold.
I'd be inclined to just use the resin casting. Thin castings in white metal can be a real pain in the rear to make, as it's difficult to get the mould to vent properly.

Devcon used to sell a brass filled two part epoxy for the repair of metal castings that gave the look of brass, which I've seen used in larger scales. Probably still around and there may be other manufacturers.

Regards,
Graeme

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 pm

SKGLB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:20 am Hello and thank you for your positive comments.
Lonsdaler wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:12 pm And finally, could you give a link to your 'chinese' whistle please?
The steam whistles can be purchased here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372159025061?h ... SwUlxaJzUq

I used the one with 12mm OD, there is also one with 8mm OD, this one has a higher tone.
But from experience I can say that both need a steam pressure of at least 15-20 psi.

Thank you for the link Michael.
Phil

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:52 am

A second half of the mold was created for the tin casting.

Unfortunately, all the materials, resin, heat-resistant silicone and the gold color for the lettering, I bought for a long time and already a bit old.
The resin had a lot of air pockets.
20210620_073902 (2).jpg
20210620_073902 (2).jpg (226.13 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
One or two tin casts are reasonably successful.

It was difficult to add color to the letters.
20210626_090653 (2).jpg
20210626_090653 (2).jpg (169.25 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
Here compared to the original. If you look at the sign from afar, it will probably not be as noticeable as it is here on the enlarged photo.
GTB wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am Devcon used to sell a brass filled two part epoxy for the repair of metal castings that gave the look of brass, which I've seen used in larger scales. Probably still around and there may be other manufacturers.
I was looking for -Devcon brass filled two part epoxy- is only available in 500g cans. That was a bit too much for a sign the have a size of a thumbnail, considering the cost. Nevertheless, thanks for the hint.
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 pm Thank you for the link Michael.
who is michael?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:14 am

SKGLB wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:52 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:20 pm Thank you for the link Michael.
who is michael?

Oops - that will be what we call a 'cerebral flatulence' moment (aka brainfart) :oops:
My apologies Gerald

Phil

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Great looking old Mayflower. Welcome to the quirky world of Merlin live steam locomotives. I have owned a few and am getting ready to buy another one here in the next day or so. While not as detailed as more modern offerings, they have a quaint 16mm narrow gauge appeal to them that is hard to match. I once had a Mayflower that looked just like yours. After sorting some steaming issues that turned out to be a swollen shut O ring between the steam chests and the cylinder, along with a reset of the valve timing, she ran spot on. AD
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:34 pm

No further construction progress with my Merlin.

But last weekend I was able to test you extensively on a large Modelrailway layout in Friedrichshafen.
The video is from a model railroad friend who filmed his Regner 99 4701.
I had my hands full operating the remote control.
But from 1:28 minute on you can see the Mayflower, and from minute 4:33 my Roundhouse Sandy River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Oojh6BsdQ

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Wow, what a layout - it's huge! Loved the steps to take operators over the tracks from one part to another...

Your locos look great, and I thought the Regner star of the show was very attractive too.

All the best,

Andrew.

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 pm Wow, what a layout - it's huge!
Indeed it was.

A complete lap with my Roundhouse Sandy River, starting on our service track.

6 service tracks on each of the 4 tables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C54ek-pOPM

A small selection -not all- of the other models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKn2xuAkvs

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Further small advances on my Mayflower.
I have, what i call it a dual coupling system, installed. On the one hand an LGB (contemptuously called beer bottle opener in German) and an Accucraft system on the front and rear of the buffer beams.

Also two rows of rivets attached next to the buffers.
Repainted the buffer beams with red paint, I hope the paint from the hardware store can withstand the heat?
IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg (202.76 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg (180.77 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
Some viewers will not like this variety of couplings, I have followed a practical ulterior motive and reserved options for the future.
I'm still not quite sure where the journey of the Merlin will go.

Either it stays like it is now, a typical English locomotive with a polished brass steam dome and two sandboxes in front of the smokebox etc. etc.

a rather

Bavarian narrow-gauge model with a steam generator (dummy) next to the chimney, a sandbox dome on top of the boiler, a Westinghouse air pump dummy on one of the sides in front of the water boxes etc. etc.

So either one of the two clutch systems will disappear or it will stay the way it is, I'm not a rivet counter, as long as everything works technically and I can do my laps without any problems, it's fine. At live steam events, I like to couple cars borrowed from other Live steamers if I don't have any of my own or not enough, in Europe mostly LGB material with the typical beer bottle opener couplings. So it can stay the way it is, if you don't like it, that's up to you

I also installed a WeBee safety valve, plus a new adapter, boiler M6 ISO thread, Weebee M5 fine thread turned from brass round material, had no brass hexagonal material (is ordered) so it's round for the time being.
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
A small disadvantage resulted from the approx 40 PSI steam pressure, the seal of the drain screw of the steam oiler no longer sealed at 40 PSI and oil escaped.

However, a new, smaller sealing ring fixed the problem.

I am currently considering installing a lantern on the top of the smoke box. Coincidentally, some time ago I bought an English locomotive lantern that is operated with LEDs and a button cell battery.
The smoke outlet on the lid of the lantern is a switch, so it lights up white or red depending on how you turn the switch.
Unfortunately, this tiny construction is a bit unstable, sometimes the light of the LED flickers a bit because the contacts between the switch and the +/- contacts of the LED don't engage properly.
IMG_6057.jpg
IMG_6057.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
IMG_6056.jpg
IMG_6056.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
This lamp remains in the English version, the Bavarian version then gets a Regner lantern with a 6V DC light bulb.

I'll think about other improvements.

Was able to buy an original Merlin Loco Works smoke box with chimney on eBay. Since the flame is sometimes difficult to ignite with the original closed smoke box, my plan would be to mill away the door of the replacement smoke box and replace it with a movable door, and that way you can better observe the flame above the gas burner.

But it will still take some time to realize all this, in the next 3 weeks I will, I hope, take part in 2 live steam events here in Austria.
Both are only about an hour's drive from where I live.

The Merlin is ready for this events in its current technical condition, so the optical conversions can wait.

will be continued….

Greetings from Austria, Gerald

Please forgive me for the grammatical nonsense in this post, my little bit of school English and a translation program, which always delivers cheerful results, are my tools to create a post in English. ;)

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am

An opening smokebox sounds excellent. It's one thing I miss about my long-sold Accucraft engine.

The red paint should hold up just fine. I've been having the same problem with my Roundhouse oiler leaking, quite annoying. Ended up permanently sealing mine, I drain it with a syringe in any case.

A Bavarian version of the Mayflower would be unlike anything else around. Bringing something unique to the table (or steam-up!) is always good.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm

Your Mayflower looks lovely. Interesting you mention it can be troublesome to light from the chimney. My Monarch can also be a bit tricky. I find it lights much easier from under the smoke box if that's an option?

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:21 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am An opening smokebox sounds excellent. It's one thing I miss about my long-sold Accucraft engine.
It's just an idea of mine, as original parts for Merlin locomotives more than 40 years after the company's demise are no longer available I bought these. I hope with my modest knowledge and machinery (mill) I can implement this idea.
Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am The red paint should hold up just fine.
That's exactly how it was, there were no problems with the color.
big-ted wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm Your Mayflower looks lovely.
Hi Ted, thanks for the compliment.
Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am A Bavarian version of the Mayflower would be unlike anything else around. Bringing something unique to the table (or steam-up!) is always good.
Looking at the video from this weekend's small Live Steam event, I'm leaning more and more towards keeping the Mayflower in the English version. I can add a few more details.

big-ted wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm Interesting you mention it can be troublesome to light from the chimney. My Monarch can also be a bit tricky. I find it lights much easier from under the smoke box if that's an option?
The chimney mounted chuffer is also part of this problem, the gas flow is somewhat impeded by the chuffer. I now also ignite below the smoke combs between the chassis frames. It's not a big problem though, let some gas flow, ignite a lighter and the flame will bounce back into the burner.

to be continued...........

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:18 am

Hello folks,

the "old lady" proved herself again at the PSV Wels summer festival two weeks ago and ran without any problems and did her laps on the PSV outdoor area several times a day.

The journeys towards the end of this hot summer day weren't that easy, Franz a well known friend kept throwing his Regner 99 211 and my Mayflower out at the same switch at the station exit. On closer inspection, I found that a totally run down and worn out frog was responsible for it. Therefore, in the video of the Mayflower -minute 1:43- so restart again and with piano speed over it and on.

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)