The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Great Garden Railway Inspection Reports

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Easily my favourite write-up so far. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Wow, wonderfully atmospheric stuff!

In a parallel universe, not very far to the left of this one, I'm a tramway modeller - pictures like these bring that alternative reality just a little closer...

Many thanks,

Andrew.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:06 pm

The overgrown tracks give it the right ambience for a line, preservation or otherwise, that is struggling along with minimum staff on a budget.
So atmospheric. I've liked this one since I first saw a video of it.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:13 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:55 pm Easily my favourite write-up so far. :salute:
I'll second that. You capture the atmosphere of a down at heel voluntary operation beautifully. And the scenery is stunning :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 am

Sorry about the delay in getting the next part up, thanks for being patient!

Part 3: The infrastructure

I had some time to kill before I would get a chance to inspect the infrastructure later today, so it was a good time to have a wander around the depot area.

A lot of the trackwork here clearly dates after the heavy rail era, installed by the tramway museum from parts from various Australian systems. This double crossover is ex Sydney. The majority of the points are single bladed tramway types, there is no interlocking or signals.

Erin had given me a rather cryptic warning to watch out for the "clever girls", whatever that means.

In the other direction is the depot, with a three road shed and one outside siding. The points here are more single bladed tramway types.

Here I got to see some of the other rollingstock belonging to the tramway preservation society, apparently from a variety of different Australian systems. Not all of it was here though.

I was a little unnerved by the goannas that live in the depot. They like to sun themselves on the concrete out the front apparently.

I pointed out to Malcom the depot seemed a little small.

"That's because it is. We actually don't even stable rollingstock overnight here any more, we now have a new depot at Mt Pleasant South. It is a bit further away so more empty running, but much bigger"

Evidently that is where the other line that branched off just after the crossing went, from the direction of which I could now see a train approaching.

This was not what I expected to see here.

"Yeah those guys like their ex Switzerland rollingstock" said Malcom. "We let them live here because we're nice though."

"We also crew their trains apparently" says Erin.
"I thought you were on the regular service"
"Steve's got it. This one needs automatic air brake qualification"

I'm also introduced to Shunter/Guard/conductor Andrew who had brought the train out from the depot.

Clearly the lack of qualified crews causes some stretching of what the duties are for each position.

Also along for the ride is electrical engineer Anna to check on the operation of the traction system.

The plan basically was to stop at all the major features along the line, since the empty cars test run had no timetable or operational constraint apart from crossing the regular service somewhere.

Tunnel 1 was first up. Tunnel 1 is unlined rock save for a concrete portal at the down end.

Lots of water ingress at the up end.

"Electrolytic corrosion, problem as old as electric traction" Anna was saying pointing at the heavily corroded overhead fittings.
"Happens anywhere a few amps go to ground. Those insulators don't exactly meet the modern spec do they"

"nooo" said Erin.
"are we going to replace them at some stage?"
"probably noo. Unless someone manages to get us more stuff from work" She looks back at Anna hopefully.

Bridge 2 and 3 are wooden trestle bridges of.. questionable condition. There are 14 major bridges between West Grasslands and Mt Pleasant of varying construction types.

Bridge 3 has had some rather unpromising looking "repairs" made at some stage.

I pointed out that a 5km/h speed restriction isn't really a substitute for proper bridge repairs after re boarding the train.

"Pretty sure I remember seeing something about renewal in the long term infrastructure plan" Anna said, leaning against the back wall of 34M's cramped cab as we arrive at Falls Loop.
"We could avoid worrying about it for a long time, but axle loads have started to creep up again now"

We wait for the regular service to catch up with us at Falls Loop. They will be following us to Currawong Loop but Erin still has to sight the staff for section authority.

Even though this is supposed to be an empty cars test run there seems to still be a number of passengers.

"What's the story with this train anyway?" I asked. "Long way from home isn't it?"

"It's privately owned by a member, but he let us use it. It fills an important role for us for railfan specials and charters. He's the dude with the hat in the van, never misses an opportunity to come for a ride."

They couldn't get any suitable rollingstock closer to home?

"Actually no, there was nothing available at the time that would fit our loading gauge. We don't exactly have an overabundance of narrow gauge direct current EMU's in Australia. I think there's a plan in the works to acquire an ex Wellington English Electric set, but that's a while off yet"

We commence the long steep decent to Currawong Loop. Trams on this kind of gradient are one thing, but I have previously criticized having such steep grades on a heavy rail passenger railway.

"This train was designed for much bigger mountains than this mate." Erin said. "I haven't even touched the air brake since we left Falls, all on the rehostatic brake."

No sooner had she said that than she reached for the air brake valve and swept it to full emergency, I had to grab the handbrake wheel as the air dumped.

"what-"

"we forgot about the branch we found on the way up"

"Always have to do someone else's job for them." Anna went to poke at it with a fiberglass pole.

"It's something we have to look out for. A dewired trolley pole is annoying, but hitting a branch with a pantograph can cause serious damage."

Bridge 7 was the next stop, another wooden trestle bridge with both horizontal and vertical curvature. Out of respect for the height above the steeply sloping hillside this one has a check rail at least.

With the regular service following behind we had to skip tunnel 2, we'll stop there on the way back.

The museum tram following us has just passed the Mt Galah request stop while our train is half way between tunnel 2 and Currawong Loop. Even though these locations are close together as the crow flies there is a significant elevation difference.

Arriving at Currawong Loop. The 4 car train only just fits, Andrew says it is the longest train that it is practical to run here.
"That's why we run it with a motor car on each end like this, saves shunting. All the cars have been through cabled for multiple unit"

Again the elevation difference is very obvious compared to where we were only a couple of minutes previously.

As we roll along towards Succulent Valley Erin is filling me in on the differences between operating the trams and heavy rail rollingstock on this challenging line.

"It's mainly in the curve speeds, Some of the transition curves are... non existent so the coupling swing can be pretty savage. Be careful walking between the cars."

"these little narrow gauge M cars are great, not much bigger than a tram really but very powerful. Running both together like this they'd drop the substation if we really made them work."

She swings the controller back into the power notches as we pass through tunnel 3, a round concrete lined tunnel that marks the bottom of the long descent.

"Speaking of, how are we going Anna?"
"It's fine.. line voltage dropped about 100v when you started powering." She was looking at her data logger who's leads disappeared into the electrical cabinet behind her.
"I didn't even notice. It's more than we'd normally live with on the big tramway but still plenty fit for purpose for us"

Anna is explaining how the electrical system works.

"The substation is in the Mt pleasant maintenance facility, with feeders that run in reservation to Succulent Valley and Grasslands loop. We can live with a 20-30% voltage drop normally, though the length of the line is pushing it for a single substation when we're running like this. We'd have to think about a second substation at West Grasslands if the line was to be restored any further."

I observed that most of the overhead wire poles were wood of varying condition.

"It's not that unusual" says Anna. "I remember when they were all wood in the outer Melbourne suburban area.
"before my time" says Erin. "though there's still the odd one on the tram network".

Next stop was bridge 13, one of the longest on the line. In places where overhead wire poles needed to be attached to bridges they were usually metal at least.

Shortly after came tunnel 4, the second longest tunnel on the line.

This one is concrete again, on a slight curve.

"You're lucky not too many bugs today" Erin said as I re boarded the train. "they get a little too comfortable when we haven't run steam in a while"

I was surprised to learn that steam traction was possible on this line.

"We actually have the original sentinel steam railcar that used to run here back in heavy rail days. Interesting unit, I'll show you when we get back to the depot. The Cockatoo Creek tramway has been here too."

Finally here we are back at West Grasslands. The crew have changed ends ready for the return trip, back home to the Mt Pleasant stabling sidings and maintenance facility.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:58 am

Not so much a report, more a 'T the T' story-book format, with superb illustrations! This is destined for publication in book form, just in time for Christmas.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm

Love it! You've really taken the narrative format and run with it. Helped no end by the fabulous features on your line. I'd be interested to know (real world) how your vehicles are powered - surely overhead would be too difficult to maintain at such a scale? Eagerly awaiting the next instalment anyway. 8)
Phil

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:32 am

You must work in rail heritage, the way you've nailed that struggling-yet-dripping-with-character, volunteer-run line is spot-on, and I can't get enough of it. It's truly inspiring. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Part 4: The rollingstock.

There was only one stop we had to make on the way back to the depot, to have a look at tunnel 2.

Like tunnel 1 the construction is unlined rock, save for some additional steel reinforcement which further reduces the already minimal clearance.

Erin tells me this tunnel is the most challenging part of the line for a driver. It is on a continuous 1:20 gradient and curves sharply through more than 90 degrees at the downhill end.

"Not a good place to stall for steam traction. You have to be careful and think ahead."

My next step had far more crunch in it than just the ballast. I was horrified to see what looked like a giant insect exoskeleton lying between the rails, one of many!

"Yep.. that's the problem with these unlined tunnels." Erin was holding the points bar with both hands, even though the nearest points were at falls loop.
"There's things that live in the walls"

I think I've seen enough here.

Back at Mt Pleasant after changing ends for the run into the depot.

Officially known as the Mount Pleasant South maintenance facility, the depot is some distance from Mt Pleasant itself. The line passes several market gardens with their security fencing, I'm told that some limited amount of fruit and vegetable traffic comes out of here in season.

Stopping to operate the depot gates.

This is a relatively modern facility, fairly clean and well lit compared to some I have seen. I guess being mainly an electric operation helps with that. Our train once stabled takes up the entirety of one of the four sidings. The tramway volunteers have complained that even after this significant increase in space it still feels cramped, same story everywhere I guess.

As well as stabling for the operational fleet this is also where restoration is done. The MMTB W5 has been newly acquired from the Victorian government and is currently undergoing restoration.

This machine has has a deeply chaotic aura.

"Not like we have the resources to cut vegetation by hand on this line" Steve is telling me.

I have noticed there are a few North East Victoria railway wagons here.

"Even though we do a lot of work ourselves here we still depended a lot on the NEVR workshops for complex manufacturing, especially in the early days" says Steve.
"We usually handle the transfer of rollingstock ourselves, but the NEVR crews are also qualified to run right through to Mt Pleasant."

The tramway also has its own fleet of various wagons and non passenger vehicles, mostly used for works purposes. This tank wagon and van are used to remove the build up of squashed vegetation from the rail surface.

Having now had a chance to see the operations, the infrastructure and the rollingstock this pretty much concludes my inspection of the Eltham South Electric Tramway. A full report will take some time, but for now here is a summary of the most important points:

1: At first appearance the method of operation seemed to be alarmingly causal, there nevertheless did appear to be some semblance of procedures for safeworking, train handling and the like. While this may have been (barely) fit for purpose for an infrequently operated heritage tramway some better formalization of procedures is urgently needed if operation is to intensify.

2: The condition of the track, bridges, tunnels and overhead line equipment is variable to say the least. I will not judge the lack of signals, interlocking, lineside fences, trackside signage of speed restrictions etc given this is a heritage tramway, but even the bare minimum of infrastructure is frequently in poor condition. It is only a matter of time before the ad hoc reactive method of maintenance catches up with this operation and a serious incident results.

3: The rollingstock is generally in good condition, as one would expect for a heritage operation. I note though that even within the tramway fleet there are a number of different standards for brakes and couplings with affect which rollingstock can be operated together. The situation is better for the heavy rail stock, with the majority having automatic couplings and braking systems interoperable with the NEVR stock. "Creative" combinations of rollingstock from different systems should be discouraged.

Despite noting the above shortcomings I have to admit a certain amount of surprise that the tramway staff have been able to maintain an electrified line this long with so little investment in time and resources.

At this stage I'm thinking about my onwards journey to my next destination, the North East Victoria railway. Tomorrow I am told there will be a special rollingstock transfer train which will run all the way through which I should be able to get a ride on. As to how this journey beyond the wires will be accomplished, at this late hour there is one piece of rollingstock in the depot still being worked on.

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting if you made it this far! Really appreciate it and I'm glad people enjoyed reading. This was fun to write, it forces you to have a look at how you do things from a bit of a different perspective to usual. Mr Spectre will be on his way to the next destination shortly!

ge_rik wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:16 am What a fascinating narrative. I love the arrangement for the overhead wires at the level crossing - presumably based on a real prototype??

Rik

Thanks Rik! It isn't based on a real prototype as far as I know, it is a very local solution to a direct conflict between 1:1 scale people and 1:24 scale trams.
Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm Love it! You've really taken the narrative format and run with it. Helped no end by the fabulous features on your line. I'd be interested to know (real world) how your vehicles are powered - surely overhead would be too difficult to maintain at such a scale? Eagerly awaiting the next instalment anyway. 8)
It actually doesn't cause any special problems, and there's definitely wildlife here. The traction system is 32V constant voltage overhead wire with deltang radio control on each car. The overhead supply and a voltage regulator replace the battery compared to a standard RC installation. Most of the problems described by the tramway staff are real, more or less.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks so much for a brilliant report and for showing us your line, warts and all! :D

I love those fantastic night shots in the depot, and the vegetation cutter is brilliant. I wouldn't mind seeing a write up on that alone?
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm

Melbournesparks wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm Love it! You've really taken the narrative format and run with it. Helped no end by the fabulous features on your line. I'd be interested to know (real world) how your vehicles are powered - surely overhead would be too difficult to maintain at such a scale? Eagerly awaiting the next instalment anyway. 8)
It actually doesn't cause any special problems, and there's definitely wildlife here. The traction system is 32V constant voltage overhead wire with deltang radio control on each car. The overhead supply and a voltage regulator replace the battery compared to a standard RC installation. Most of the problems described by the tramway staff are real, more or less.
That's very impressive. You have obviously perfected a reliable catenary system. 32v seems a bit of a strange voltage to run at. Presumably there is a reason.

And thank you, part 4 was as interesting and well written as the rest of the report :salute:
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks for Pt 4. A fitting and really imaginative end to the story. I think this will have to be turned into a box set ....... 😏

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:11 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm
Melbournesparks wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:56 pm
That's very impressive. You have obviously perfected a reliable catenary system. 32v seems a bit of a strange voltage to run at. Presumably there is a reason.

And thank you, part 4 was as interesting and well written as the rest of the report :salute:
The voltage regulators on the trams allow them to run on any voltage between about 12 and 40v, DC or AC. It's better to use the highest voltage possible for the same reason as full size, less current means less voltage drop over the long distances involved. I had a 32V DC power supply already and it has worked well enough that I haven't urgently needed to change it, though I'm planning to change to alternating current in future to hopefully get rid of the electrolysis problem. There's a lot of places where the overhead wire isn't as electrically isolated from the ground as it should be. The system was developed through trial and error more than anything else, but has certainly been reliable with the low level of maintenance it gets. I don't actively clean anything aside from running the water tank wagon every now and then.

Thanks again everyone for reading!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if others are now thinking "Hmmm. Overhead power supply - I could just try it..." :lol:
Phil

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:25 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:34 pm I wonder if others are now thinking "Hmmm. Overhead power supply - I could just try it..." :lol:
I thought that quite a while ago when I first saw mention of this line. :)

So many great ideas, so little time....!
Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 am

This line is full of character. You've obviously done your homework with the catenary. Do you have to keep the rails clean to complete the circuit? If so wondering how you keep rails clean in tunnels -and keep the wildlife out..

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:43 am

Come next morning I found myself boarding the steam railcar along with numerous members of the ESET society. Steam being allowed to run on the mainline isn't an everyday occurrence and attendance reflected that with the membership!
DSC04723.JPG
DSC04723.JPG (6.44 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
With a screech of the brake blocks the railcar pulled up in the platform. Erin grinned at me "sorry don't get many chances to practise stopping from mainline speeds"
the other society members disembarked and the railcar was backed into two road ready for a period freight train to grind into the platform
DSC04714.JPG
DSC04714.JPG (7.63 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
I farewelled my gracious ESET hosts and was introduced to the local area manager. He explained that the NEVR had timetabled a special run of their heritage railmotor to allow me to inspect the right of way.
DSC04728.JPG
DSC04728.JPG (7.16 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
This station seems oddly familiar. I was told that the NEVR has always simply ordered derivatives of other railways successful designs and Myrtlefords is no different, a copy of Waterhouses station from the Leek and Manifold It has both male and female waiting rooms.
DSC04739.JPG
DSC04739.JPG (8.84 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
Rattling down the mountain our driver called out the next yard as Marysville. Once boasting a goods shed, short platform and Mallee shed along with a log loading siding it now sees the odd log train or tank wagon for the forestry industry.
DSC04742.JPG
DSC04742.JPG (8.28 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
After taking off again and up and down the winding grades our railmotor rolls past the mine. Deep in the mountains theres very little space here for a spacious yard I only got a passing glance at the vintage shunting diesel parked here but I'm assured its mainly used for way and works trains.
DSC04743.JPG
DSC04743.JPG (7.88 MiB) Viewed 9100 times
end part 1
Jake

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:58 am

Part 2
DSC04745.JPG
DSC04745.JPG (8.38 MiB) Viewed 9099 times
A quick staff change with the waiting log train and we depart from Badger Creek. Originally electrified and running two car EMU's very similar to the Victorian railways Tait trains its now little more then a passing place
DSC04749.JPG
DSC04749.JPG (9.56 MiB) Viewed 9099 times
Finally back at Port Melbourne after my extended stay I took this opportunity to inspect some of the infrastructure
DSC04753.JPG
DSC04753.JPG (6.88 MiB) Viewed 9099 times
These two antique track working trollies seem to be fairly well preserved alongside this long disused signal box.
DSC04758.JPG
DSC04758.JPG (6.41 MiB) Viewed 9099 times
While inspecting the wharf and associated warehouse sheds I caught a glimpse of heritage boxcab E1 dragging what appeared to be a large steam locomotive being dragged towards the main works. On querying why the workshops were taking on more projects I was shot a furious look by the CME and ushered away!
DSC04760.JPG
DSC04760.JPG (7.09 MiB) Viewed 9099 times

Part 3 to follow
Attachments
DSC04757.JPG
DSC04757.JPG (6.94 MiB) Viewed 9099 times
Jake

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:13 pm

I must say I am less then impressed with this bridge. hard to believe any traffic is permitted at all over it given it has no beams or structure!
DSC04767.JPG
DSC04767.JPG (6.78 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
Likewise I recommend this home signal is removed asap to prevent injury or loss of track access due to the post collapsing
DSC04768.JPG
DSC04768.JPG (6.66 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
waiting for the shunt loco to push these tank wagons out of the platform,
DSC04702.JPG
DSC04702.JPG (6.38 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
Back on the railmotor heading off to fetch my trunk ready for my next journey. I have enjoyed my time in Victoria, despite bringing the windy wet weather with me I am quite excited to head to sunny Queensland next to meet a Mr Plod of the Potters Orchid railway should make a nice warm break before returning back to the impending cold in Europe
DSC04769.JPG
DSC04769.JPG (5.28 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
Postscript: it seems I have managed to cause a scaling error in my trunk. I've been shrunk down to the size of a 1:19 scale man!
20211107_172851.jpg
20211107_172851.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
20211107_172905.jpg
20211107_172905.jpg (4.34 MiB) Viewed 9095 times
Jake

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks Jake, nicely told story.
Philip